Thinking of BUYING a HAH, Any Comments ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:23 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Thinking of BUYING a HAH, Any Comments ???

Hi,

OK this is the chance here to say what (You-Really-Think) of your HAH.

I don't own one so I will not be making any comments on your Post and what you have to say. I am looking on Car Trader at Used Ones. There are some out there but I have kinda ran into a SNAG of SORTS.

Very few with Nav. option and even less with Very-Low-Miles. My Location is Nashville, TN. I mention my Location because I did a search for the whole USA and Calif. has HAH's for Sell. But that is like 2,300 miles Away

So I was not wanting to do New because of Price with Nav. and options like Auto-Dimming Mirror, Mud Guards, Fog Lights, Premium Mats brings the cost to like $ 33K Approx. I had prices given to me of $29.5K with options. I was really hoping to find a 07 with very low miles w/Nav. and much cheaper since it had been Pre-Owned.

Back on track here. I know some of you have in the past owned the 06 HCH II as I do now. You traded for the HAH and a lot of discussion revolves around FE. Some of you are happy and some or one (A-Lady) traded hers off. Low FE was her thing in the city.

So, tell me at length about your HAH's and how you like or dislike them now that you have had them for some time.

I'm done, so it is your turn:

Here is a LAST QUESTION ??? Are you sorry for buying the HAH now that it has been dropped by Honda. Be-Honest-Please

Terry (tigerhonaker)

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-04-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking of BUYING a HAH, Any Comments ???

We have an o5 HAH and love it. It has not failed us once and has never had a recall or anything, not even a visit to the dealer for any repairs.

Mileage in the city is 28ish. Hard for us to get much more than that consistently. Highway doing 70 is about 37mpg. If the speed limit was 60mph the mpgs would be about 42ish.

Only gripe is the doors dont seem to have enough tension in the positioners to keep them in place when getting in or out of car. You learn real fast to get your legs in or they will be whacked by the self closing door.

So far, so good.

Good luck with your decisions

Old 08-05-2007, 09:48 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Thinking of BUYING a HAH, Any Comments ???

[quote=TonyK;137447]We have an o5 HAH and love it. It has not failed us once and has never had a recall or anything, not even a visit to the dealer for any repairs.

Mileage in the city is 28ish. Hard for us to get much more than that consistently. Highway doing 70 is about 37mpg. If the speed limit was 60mph the mpgs would be about 42ish.

Only gripe is the doors dont seem to have enough tension in the positioners to keep them in place when getting in or out of car. You learn real fast to get your legs in or they will be whacked by the self closing door.

So far, so good.

Thanks Tony for your Comments. I'm glad also that you have for the most part had No-Trouble with your HAH. Nice to see that you really like the car after you have had it for some time now. Your FE/MPG looks good to me compared to other NON-Hybrids. Plus you have the POWER if you need it, A-plus-I-Think.

Terry

Good luck with your decisions

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-05-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There's a lot of information in this HAH section of threads. Start reading.

Seriously, I love my car. I considered trading it at one point, but only so I'd be able to buy an Odyssey for the wife. We found a way to keep the HAH and get the Ody (we sold the Escape) so I'm very happy.

If you're limiting yourself to a low mileage '07, they're far and few between right now. However, didn't some guy post his '05 with something like 20K miles on it for $20K? I think he was in MA; a lot closer to you than CA.

If you were closer, I'd let you drive my HAH around to get a feel for it, if you haven't been able to drive one yet.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Oh, would I do it all over again if I had to? Of course! This car is every bit of what I want it to be. I wanted a sporty type car (faster than a regular family car) with good fuel economy (the hybrid part, but could have been any type of fuel efficient engine) that is roomy (I drove the HCH, I like the HAH much better on the insides) and a little plush (leather, Navi, etc). The HAH fills every one of those categories.

The only thing I wish my car had that it doesn't is VSA (not available until '06 and later), a moonroof (again, '06 and later), HID headlamps (still not available), and LED tail lights (one more time, '06 and later).

Old 08-05-2007, 07:14 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Thinking of BUYING a HAH, Any Comments ???

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Oh, would I do it all over again if I had to? Of course! This car is every bit of what I want it to be. I wanted a sporty type car (faster than a regular family car) with good fuel economy (the hybrid part, but could have been any type of fuel efficient engine) that is roomy (I drove the HCH, I like the HAH much better on the insides) and a little plush (leather, Navi, etc). The HAH fills every one of those categories.

The only thing I wish my car had that it doesn't is VSA (not available until '06 and later), a moonroof (again, '06 and later), HID headlamps (still not available), and LED tail lights (one more time, '06 and later).
Hi Keith,

Appreciate your Post and for the same things you would like to have on your 05 is why I am looking at the 07. I might purchase a NEW-2007. I was hoping to find a Pre-Owned 07 with Nav. but like you say there are not a lot (Hardly-Any) of them around, especially with Low-Miles and Nav. To make matters worse I don't want a DARK-COLOR. This week coming up the temp here is like this, 98-99-101-101-102 so Dark is OUT !!!

I think what is really holding me up is the NEW 2008 Accords with more HP (270-280) and they will have the same 6 to 3 cylinder cut out for increased FE.

So what a mess and what to do. The 07 HAH w/Nav is a lot of money and I think the 08 V-6 will be less money with same FE as the 07 HAH or very close to it.

So thought I would see what owners have to say regarding theirs.

I went to different Forums and this may surprise you but there are a lot of Very-Unsatisfied Owners of the HAH.

Personally, I think they all, for the most part purchased the Wrong vehicle for what they wanted in a Hybrid. You cannot expect a 253/255 HP High Performance Hybrid to deliver some ridiculous high mileage. It is not going to do that IMO. To get high FE with it you would have to really drive it very smoothly and not drive it like the HP it has and can deliver with the press of the "GO-PEDAL" on Demand.

I want it for the Performance it can deliver and the FE when driven Sanely. You can have both, but it is up to your driving style to get either Fast or FE.

YOU-CHOOSE !!!!!!!

Terry

BTW, I did notice that there is just not very many New-Post/Threads from owners of the HAH. That is too Bad.

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-06-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

I drive a 2006 HAH. I went in to the dealer to actually buy an HCH II or a Civic sedan. I had already been driving a 2006 Accord EX-V6 6MT for 6 months at that time, so I had a good feel for how an accord felt. After test driving a Civic sedan (dealer did not have an HCH on the lot at the time), there was no question that my other car was going to be HAH instead of HCH II. Accord just feels so much more refined to drive and I have never regretted the decision. I recently went on a 2000 mile roadtrip and got 36mpg from HAH over the entire trip. Car was fully loaded with 4 people and a full trunk. That is pretty darn good for a V6 engine pushing a 3600 lb midsize car. So I get fuel economy of a civic with power of v6 and VSA for peace of mind.

There have been couple of minor issues/observations. I have noticed occasional metallic noise when the car is cold and shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. Some people say it is the engine backfiring through intake manifold, but I have not noticed any performance issues or any roughness in the engine. I am guessing it is just the automatic transmission making the noise when changing gears. Dealer did not find anything out of ordinary on the car. This is my first ever car with automatic transmission, so I am not usre what noises to expect from auto tranny. Second issue was at one time ABS, VSA and VSA activation lights came on solid during a turn and did not go away until engine was turned off. Dealer found an error code indicating VSA solenoid fault. VSA solenoid tested normal. So it may have been just a glitch.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Oh and BTW, I notice higher fuel efficiency when I punch the accelerator harder than when I baby it. I think it has to do with harder acceleration forcing more engine assist and as a result you get to target speed quicker and then engine can settle into ECO mode sooner as you start cruising at constant speed. This behavior might be counter-intuitive to what people say about driving a hybrid but it is just fine by me I get to enjoy the power and still get high mpg.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Thinking of BUYING a HAH, Any Comments ???

Originally Posted by gonehiking
Oh and BTW, I notice higher fuel efficiency when I punch the accelerator harder than when I baby it. I think it has to do with harder acceleration forcing more engine assist and as a result you get to target speed quicker and then engine can settle into ECO mode sooner as you start cruising at constant speed. This behavior might be counter-intuitive to what people say about driving a hybrid but it is just fine by me I get to enjoy the power and still get high mpg.
gonehiking,

Nice Post with I think Informative information. Thanks and if you think of anything else regarding your HAH I certainly will enjoy your comments.

Take Care,

Terry