Brand new 2008 DEAD BATTERY

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Brand new 2008 DEAD BATTERY

I went to test drive a $48000+ Highlander Hybrid today.

Salesman came out - pointed the key at the vehcle - and nothing!

Doors would not open - dead battery.

So he has another guy come out and jump it while he shows me another demo. (jumping a brand new car - omg!)

I thought maybe it just sat too long but then I read all the threads about the dead 12 v batteries.

Man - this car was BRAND NEW and it wouldnt start.

So - absolutely beautiful car, but not for me. I have enough problems and zero time for nonsense. All of you who have one, I am sure its an awesome vehicle. I just think now I know there is a problem they have not really addressed for some owners.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brand new 2008 DEAD BATTERY

The battery was not dead it was discharged. A door may have been left open or a light on - regardless, it happens frequently. No big deal.

The dealership should check the vehicles and recharge as needed. Certainly no indication of a "Problem" except in the dealerships stock maintenance process.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

I hear you. If indeed someone left the dome light on, door ajar, etc etc, I would be in complete agreement with you.

However, if you do a search you will find hundreds of threads re the 12 volt starter battery having premature issues. Apparently after sitting for a few DAYS, some owners batteries lose the level of charge required to start the car.

Toyota responds with the corporate line, IE, charge it back up again, its fine. Well, it wouldn't be fine with me if I parked in the airport lot and came back after 3 days and it was dead.

From what I am reading, I would not completly discount the possibility that there is a underlying issue here. I have a suspicion that just maybe the battery is just a wee bit undersized for the vehicle. I am sure it was a calculated decision to save weight and space. Additionally, it is also possible that the supplier had some bad batteries go out.

Whatever the reason, do a search and you will find threads like "the dead highlander battery club" etc. throughout the internet. I am open to the possibility that there is an issue.

Having to jump a $48000+ car is not the way to make a sale, regardless.

And BTW - the car is beautiful, and I have no vendetta against Toyota or the Highlander, it just is what it is.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, the battery is just a wee bit undersized for THIS vehicle, EXACTLY as it should be.

Weight matters.....

Since most hybrid vehicles have the ability to quickly recharge the 12 volt AUXILLARY battery from the hybrid battery there is no great need for a high capacity, HEAVY, 12 volt battery.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

OK - but what if it DOESN'T hold the charge and leaves you stranded? Again, take a look - there are TONS of battery threads on this vehicle. Its not a personal attack, it just is what it is.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

Here is a copy of a post from another website that sums it up.
__________________________________________________ ____________
I think the issue may be the capacity of the orginal 12 volt battery is simply to small. The small capacity is not suited for normal loads when the vehicle is parked and the battery is not being charged.

Loads on the battery, when the vehicle is off and not charging the battery, will cause the battery voltage to drop. If a lead acid battery voltage remains in a discharged state for a long period of time, sulfates build on the lead plates SHORTENING THE LIFE AND REDUCING THE CAPACITY OF THE BATTERY. The life of a lead acid battery is directly related to the charge maintained on the battery.

If the majority of trips are short (say < 10 minutes), this does not allow enough time for the 12V battery to recover to a fully charged state (~ 12.6 volts). The ability to recharge the battery (when the vehicle is running) is further hindered if additional loads such as heated seats, rear defrost, etc are being used. I have noticed this problem on my 06 HH 12V battery. I have found the voltage as low as 12.1 V (~ 35% charged). Last night is was 12.3 V (~ 60% charged) so I put a battery charger on it to top the voltage back up around 12.6V as a preventative maintenance strategey to prevent sulfates on the lead plates and to maximize the battery life. My other vehicle is a 03 GMC Sonoma which has a significantly large capacity 12V battery. It can easily maintain a 12.5 to 12.6V charge when not in use for extended periods of time. My pervious vehicle was a 97 GrandAM, and the orginal ACDelco battery was still good after 9 years - likely due to a good charging system and large capacity battery.... I would be curious if the people who have had premature battery failures: - normally make short trips less than 10 minutes - ever drained the 12V battery down (i.e. left a cabin light on over night) and possible required a booster. If you normally make short trips, I would recommend using a battery charger periodically to ensure the battery voltage is always topped up to ensure maximum battery life (if you are **** like me). Or maybe Toyota should install a large capacity 12V battery. GVUR

Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

versabar,

Go back to the dealer, tell them to knock another $100.00 off of the price and they can keep their battery, go to Autozone, buy an Optimum high capacity battery, take it to the dealer and have them install it before you pick the vehicle up.

Problem solved.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast

Not a bad idea, but its not just "a car battery".
Its footprint is differerent. Do you know for sure its available?

If you go on the website - this is what it says:

We're sorry, but there are no results in this parts category for your 2009 Toyota Truck Highlander 4WD 3.3L Gas/Elec Hybrid.

Please select another vehicle, or return to our Shopping Page to see the available parts and accessories for this vehicle.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

versabar,

The hybrid takes a 51R battery. I happen to use Autocraft Titanium batteries in my cars and one of these has a 640 CCA rating. The OE battery has a 500 CCA rating so this should give you a 28% better capacity.

The Optima batteries might work and have ratings of 650 CCA (yellow top) or 720 CCA (red top) rating. Note that these will require a bottom height adapter and might not clear the hood. Measure well before buying one of these.

For my money, I would use the 352 Titanium battery by Autocraft with a 640 CCA rating for $102.89 and find an old core to turn in and save the $12.00 core charge.

Try the following link: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pro...rchFor=Battery