Glass Break Sensor Accessory

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Glass Break Sensor Accessory

I was considering installing the Toyota accessory glass break sensor to my Highlander Hybrid Limited.

(Toyota part# 08586-48080 - VIP Security System glass breakage sensor)

This adds an extra measure of security to the standard security system by alarming if someone attempts breaking any of the windows. This Toyota sensor module does not come standard on the car from the factory - it is a dealer add-on. I can buy the sensor on-line for about $85 but according to the online selling Toyota dealers, this part doesn't come with installation instructions.

Does anyone know where to find installation instructions for this accessory?

Old 08-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Glass Break Sensor Accessory

I read somewhere that disconnecting the battery resets the ISC and may need to be initialized by the dealer.
Here's a set of instructions that I found online. I haven't installed one in mine because in the city you learn to ignore those alarms.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
08586-48070.pdf (305.3 KB, 300 views)
Old 08-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you for finding these instructions.

I also just received a copy of instructions from someone else specifically for the Highlander Hybrid which I have attached if any one else is interested. The two versions of instructions look basically the same.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006 HYHIGBS.pdf (741.0 KB, 477 views)
Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 AM
EMO
HiHy Lover

Hmm. According to my invoice the glass break sensor came "standard" on my 4wd Ltd. When I asked the dealer how I would know it worked -- he laughed and said I could test it eg. break a window, or I could trust that it was there.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Enthusiast

On my HiHy, the VIP glass breakage sensor was part of the $426 Preferred Accessory Package. The package also has the floor and cargo mats, cargo net and first aid kit. Definitely overpriced but I'm glad I have the sensor. My dealer equipped all of their HiHy's with this package to add to their profits.

If you want to test it, just tap your key on your front windshield when the alarm is on. I haven't tested mine yet, but thats the way I did it with my other cars.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMO
Hmm. According to my invoice the glass break sensor came "standard" on my 4wd Ltd. When I asked the dealer how I would know it worked -- he laughed and said I could test it eg. break a window, or I could trust that it was there.
As stated, lock your vehicle and tap on the window with your key it should activate it. The sensitivity is adjustable by the dealer, or yourself if you know how to do it on the module, but to low a setting will cause false alarms.