GPS Problem-Can't enter address while car in motion ...any way around this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default GPS Problem-Can't enter address while car in motion ...any way around this?

I am about to purchase a 08 Highlander with the Nav option but I just found out that you can not manually enter an address in the GPS while the vehicle is in motion; you have to come to a complete stop. I want the front seat passenger to be able to enter an address while the car is moving but this apparently is not possible. Is there any way around this?

Apparently the only way to enter an address while the vehicle is in motion is by voice only. With two screaming kids in the back seat this obviously will not work.

I think someone must have found a way around this…

Old 03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: GPS Problem-Can't enter address while car in motion ...any way around this?

This is a common 'safety' feature of built-in navigation systems. A quick Google search shows there is a work around for the 06 which may or may not work on the 08.

For my money, a dash mounted GPS is a much better deal than a built-in. For $700 you can get a high-end Garmin that has better features, better maps, cheaper map updates, and can be moved between vehicles.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: GPS Problem-Can't enter address while car in motion ...any way around this?

There are a few companies producing mods that overcome this issue, but may void parts of your warrenty, so I'd agree with cbibbs that an external model is a better choice. Then you can use that dash to monitor your mileage to help maximize.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbibbs
This is a common 'safety' feature of built-in navigation systems. A quick Google search shows there is a work around for the 06 which may or may not work on the 08.

For my money, a dash mounted GPS is a much better deal than a built-in. For $700 you can get a high-end Garmin that has better features, better maps, cheaper map updates, and can be moved between vehicles.
Yes I am aware of this being a Garmin user for the past several years but having a GPS unit stuck on your windshield is IMO a great way to have your car broken in to.
I really prefer to have something in dash for the convenience factor with out wires hanging down from a windshield mounted unit.
Even the residual suction mark is a signal to potential thieves that there is something valuable in you car

Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gbaum
Yes I am aware of this being a Garmin user for the past several years but having a GPS unit stuck on your windshield is IMO a great way to have your car broken in to.
I really prefer to have something in dash for the convenience factor with out wires hanging down from a windshield mounted unit.
Even the residual suction mark is a signal to potential thieves that there is something valuable in you car
I use a dash mount and fished the wires out of sight. It takes about 10 seconds to hide it when necessary (and I work in Detroit so I know a thing or two about seedy neighborhoods.)

Still, you may consider an in-dash after market unit. They cost about the same as OEM models, but generally include directions on how to defeat the in motion block.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbibbs
I use a dash mount and fished the wires out of sight. It takes about 10 seconds to hide it when necessary (and I work in Detroit so I know a thing or two about seedy neighborhoods.)

Still, you may consider an in-dash after market unit. They cost about the same as OEM models, but generally include directions on how to defeat the in motion block.
Thanks for the great info and quick response but I am unaware of any after market in dash units.
Do mean have your dash modified to accept a Garmin unit or remove the OEM radio and replace with it with a radio/GPS type unit ?

Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gbaum
Thanks for the great info and quick response but I am unaware of any after market in dash units.
Do mean have your dash modified to accept a Garmin unit or remove the OEM radio and replace with it with a radio/GPS type unit ?
I meant replacing the factory radio with an after market unit, but it appears the Highlander's stereo is a non-standard size and can't be replaced without getting a customized dash. (If you haven't priced that before, it isn't cheap.)

You might want to check out your local customizer to see if they have any ideas, but the built-in GPS is what, $900? You'll be hard pressed to do a custom job any cheaper.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Enthusiast

You can purchase a "double din" after market mount that would be a compatible replacement for your factory in dash 6-disc changer. Your reputable (or seedy) custom car install shop can override the settings, or "accidentally" leave it so that you can wire it yourself. Thereby excluding them from any legal liability. I had my guys do it for me. They had to place a 2 inch screw through my HiHy's speed sensor, allowing the nav system to think that the parking brake sequence was on. If you are interested in who did the work on my car, please let me know. I would be happy to share that info, but it can be done! I have a pioneer Avic-D1 unit, but the new Avic D-3 is quite nice as well. Best of luck!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Enthusiast

If you are interested in using the NAV system and Telephone dash input while in motion email me at cruisin@live.com. Also have a backup camera for a OEM NAV system.

Last edited by outolunch; 06-25-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outolunch
If you are interested in using the NAV system and Telephone dash input while in motion go to ebay and look at 320225493732 and upgrade to NAV ver 7.1 unlocked.
Any update on this? That ebay auction is long gone, of course. A current search for navigation lock override on ebay for 2008 Toyota models yields no results.

Quick Reply: GPS Problem-Can't enter address while car in motion ...any way around this?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands