Handling Under Full Throttle

Old 03-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Handling Under Full Throttle

Anyone else notice that Highlander gets "light in front" under heavy acceleration. The handling to me is extremely squirrely when you under under heavy acceleration conditions. I believe it is from the torque in the electric motor when you first accelerate.

Anyone have any ideas on some aftermarket part that can be used to improve the handling under these conditions.

To me it's almost unsafe for those occasions when you really need to get on the gas to get out of a bad situation.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Charged
Default Re: Handling Under Full Throttle

Yeah, it's squirrely. Definitely. However, it doesn't come close to falling into the "almost unsafe" category. Try full throttle in a 1988 Saab Turbo for some *really* exciting torque-steer.

The 255/55 R18 wheels and tires I use on my HiHy in the summertime drastically reduce the squirrellyness (sp?), probably both due to the heavier weight of the wheels and the wider grip of the tires.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Kermit's Friend
Default Re: Handling Under Full Throttle

I also noticed this when I romped it once on the highway. It took off better than I expected but there seemed to be a moment at first where it was working to get a better grip on the road. Still, very impressive horsepower and handling overall.