Have Loaded '06 HiHy Limited w/120K miles...what is it worth

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Have Loaded '06 HiHy Limited w/120K miles...what is it worth

I searched but did not find any "valuation" threads in here. We bought our '06 Highlander Hybrid Limited in June of '06 and have been meticulous in maintaining it with all service done at the local Toyota dealership where we bought it and have all records in hand. It currently has 120K miles on it and no problems what-so-ever & never wrecked, Hybrid batteries still holding an excellet charge, etc. We put new tires on it less than 2K miles ago and it has every possible option including rear seat DVD with wireless headsets for the kiddos and 3rd row seat, tow package,NAVI, Premium Audio, etc.

I am already familiar with KBB and NADA and others as well as have a log in for Manheim so know all the auction figures. What we don't know is....
"What are others getting for a similar low-milage '06 LIMITED Hybrids in the actual marketplace?"

I've seen $15K listings showing sold and I see others listed for $11K that are still out there. I assume that the $11K ones may have had battery issues (needing replacement of traction due to early production), may have been prior salvage or experienced a wreck or may have simply been poorly maintained. I also know that the traction batteries basically cost $5K so that also explains some of those $10K sales. I see non-hybrids going for between $10K and $13K so the Hybrids shouldbe able to do better based on their value and economy alone, right?

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-23-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Have Loaded '06 HiHy Limited w/120K miles...what is it worth

I just sold my 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited 4x4 w/ Navigation and only 77k miles to Carmax. They gave me $13,500 for it, which is the very top of trade in value. Blue book in the 23601 area code it was $15,880 (Good-private property). I searched a carmax , and they were selling them same as mine with same miles but no 4x4 for about $19,000. Thats why i took it to them. Trying to sell this vehicle yourself is very difficult because people are terrified of the battery packs. They are afraid they will stop working soon, and need replacing. So, basically unless you find someone thats as educated as us...its really hard to sell. Most dealerships didnt even offer me close to $10,000. From what i see by using KBB. Your car worth between $12,500-$12,800 (good-very good) private property. Trade in value looks to be about $10,000. You can try selling it yourself. I think a good starting price is $12,500. That way you have room to move down. Carmax may offer you $9,500-$10,000.

Last edited by bandit88; 10-08-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback but others have gotten $15K for theirs from private sales but it looks like you had more difficulty. We have seen that both CarMax as well as the dealerships are getting really good $'s out of these in the secondary market so I think we may have better luck here locally when we do decide to sell it. To be honest, we would not sell (or trade) it at those $10K-$12K price points. It's simply worth more than that and we have no urgenct to replace. Heck, if it was only worth $10K I would probably give it to my son who just started college and doesn't (yet) have a vehicle rather than go out and buy him a $6,500 Accord

Old 10-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Thanks for the feedback but others have gotten $15K for theirs from private sales but it looks like you had more difficulty. We have seen that both CarMax as well as the dealerships are getting really good $'s out of these in the secondary market so I think we may have better luck here locally when we do decide to sell it. To be honest, we would not sell (or trade) it at those $10K-$12K price points. It's simply worth more than that and we have no urgenct to replace. Heck, if it was only worth $10K I would probably give it to my son who just started college and doesn't (yet) have a vehicle rather than go out and buy him a $6,500 Accord
It really just depends on your location. Im even in an area of 250,000-300,000 people in my city alone. Not including the surrounding areas (in millions +). From what i have seen on autotrader. Even the dealerships are having issues selling these cars. I know you may not want to sell it that cheap, but something is only worth, what its worth. I have looked at cars since selling mine and everyone for some reason keeps listing their cars at retail value or more. A bank is not gonna let someone finance a car that is worth less than they are financing. I have been working on cars for years (im ASE certified and have an Associates Degree in Automotive Technology), and there is no option when checking value that reads "sentimental". if someone where to offer you $12,000. That would be a great offer for you, based on what your car is realistically worth.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bandit88
It really just depends on your location. Im even in an area of 250,000-300,000 people in my city alone. Not including the surrounding areas (in millions +). From what i have seen on autotrader. Even the dealerships are having issues selling these cars. I know you may not want to sell it that cheap, but something is only worth, what its worth. I have looked at cars since selling mine and everyone for some reason keeps listing their cars at retail value or more. A bank is not gonna let someone finance a car that is worth less than they are financing. I have been working on cars for years (im ASE certified and have an Associates Degree in Automotive Technology), and there is no option when checking value that reads "sentimental". if someone where to offer you $12,000. That would be a great offer for you, based on what your car is realistically worth.
Thanks for the feedback. I've been buying a selling cars over 40+ years so am very aware that they are only worth what the market will bear so no issue there. I have sold cars on eBay in less than 15 minutes after listing them. I have gotten "Private Party" values in somce cases and wholesale in others. I have only traded-in ONE vehicle in my entire life and that was because the dealer HAD to have it for another client so they essentially paid me a "high wholesale" on it. Very Good private party on this car is close to $14K (as it is FULLY loaded with 3rd row seat, towing, rear seat DVD, NAVI, etc). Wholesale is $10,750 so I know I could take it to an Acution and likely get more than that out of it. In addition, some friends of the family run an Auto Auction company so I could even "run it across the block" at one of those to see if some guy might want to pick up a economy SUV for his wife or kid.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Enthusiast

Well yea my 2006 highlander hybrid limited 4x4 with 77k miles on it. It had all the options yours has without the DVD unit, and it was worth $15,880 private property. If i put yours in right now in KBB with 120k miles it is showing me $12,880 (very good) private property. I had wholesalers only offer me $9,500 to $10,000 for mine. May i ask what value reference you as using? zip code? If your on the west coast im sure it would be higher. Im on the east coast, but near D.C so it helps a little. Better than being somewhere like Nebraska i guess lol.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

KBB & NADA are the sources. Simply select the top of the line Hybrid and then add towing, navi and DVD player (on KBB only) and then change the milage from 110K (default) to 128K and the private party valuation comes in @ $13,500 (excellent condition as there is literally not a thing wrong with it. Heck, even the floor mats are essentially BRAND NEW as I put the Weathertech stuff in for her when we originally bought it so the "regular" floor mats were never even used. We are located in Charlotte, North Carolina and have advertised it on AutoTrader (below)
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=388789979