Inverter Coolant Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Inverter Coolant Pump

This past Saturday, I started up our Highlander in a parking lot in Philly and immediately got two warnings - Hybrid and VSC warnings. I turned it off and back on - same thing. We read the owner's manual and guess what - they said to take it to an authorized Toyota dealer. Saturdy night - not happening.

Got home fine. Drove it a little Sunday with no problems. Monday morning - no warnings!

Because our 100,000 mile/5 year warranty on Hybrid components was to expire yesterday (5 years), I brought it in to Toyota and explained what happened. Also told them I was concerned about the $10,000-$14,000.00 inverter if is should have been damaged in some way. I was told there is no inverter issue on the Highlander. hhmmmm.

They were able to duplicate the issue! First time that ever happened. I was told the inverter coolant pump shorted out and it needs to be replaced. $417.00. Guess what? Even though it is a Hybrid component, it is not covered under the hybrid component warranty. hhmmmmm.

So, I ask: What possible damage to the inverter? None, I was assured. hhmmmmmmmmmm.

I picked up the Highlander last night without having the work completed. $123.03 diagnosis charge though.

Trading it in on a Subaru Forester tonight.

We have a Subaru Legacy. 153,000 miles. The rear wheel bearing went about 70,000 miles ago. A month after it went, Subaru sent a letter to all owners telling them about an issue with the rear wheel bearings and they would replace them for free if the vehicle had less miles on them then mine did. I wrote a letter to Subaru with a copy of my receipt from the Subaru dealer which did the work. Guess what? I got a check a week letter for reimbursement. 100%. That has been the only issue since late 2004. A wheel bearing. Did I mention that Subaru has annual customer appreciation days? Phila. Flower Show for a few years with a hospitality suite? Franklin Inst. with cheese steaks? Skiing events - though we don't ski.

And guess what - the Forester is costing almost exactly 1/2 of what we paid for the Highlander. Getting the trade in value for the Highlander while we can. And before the inverter goes kaput!

$48 k 5 years ago. I feel like I've been run hard and put away wet. Abused. I am going to take a shower, now.

Just my story.

Great forum.

zzotto21
Previous 2006 Highlander Hybrid owner.
Previous Toyota owner.
Never again.
Never again.