Inverter shoots craps at 105,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Default Re: Inverter shoots craps at 105,000 miles

Almost the same story here in Minnesota!!!
Mad in Minnesota.
$9,500 to fix!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chilly
Do you have a TSB number that gives this information? I am unable to find any TSB related to this.
I also own a 2006 Highlander Hybrid and have been reading the "VIN break" info posted "Maryland John" in various forum sites across the internet, including the above. I believe John deduced the "VIN break" from answers provided through an expert online subscription site (see link below). That's why you can't find an exact TSB.

The Toyota expert John interacted with never exactly said that the set of VINs provided are considered "VIN break" for determining whether a HiHy is at risk for inverter problem. The expert just said that new version of the inverter was installed on a HiHy after certain VIN. So the "VIN break" is a result that a person subjectively jump to conclude and is not something that was really stated right out by the Toyota expert. So I think you have to take the info with a grain of salt, in my opinion.

You can find the entire length of the Maryland John's discussion with the Toyota expert at the URL below (Go to bottom of page at the section named "Accepted Answer" and click on the "Read the entire conversation" link on the right side):

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...06-highlanders

Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

Regarding inverter failures and coverage under warranty, last October I bought a Toyota Certified 36 month old 2006 HiHy which had just come off a private lease and had low mileage of 11,350 (current mileage is 22k). For peace of mind I paid extra for a comprehensive third party 7yr/100k extended warranty to augment Toyota's 8yr/100 (non-California) power train warranty. Based on these blogs I see the VIN is prior to the introduction of the improved inverter module which is increasingly worrying as I get closer to the Toyota 8 yr/100k expiration (I presume the power train warranty includes the inverter?). Apart from prematurely selling what pre-emptive steps would readers care to suggest to mitigate the potential $8.5k inverter repair cost? TIA

Last edited by fredee; 08-18-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fredee
For peace of mind I paid extra for a comprehensive third party 7yr/100k extended warranty to augment Toyota's 8yr/100 (non-California) power train warranty. Based on these blogs I see the VIN is prior to the introduction of the improved inverter module which is increasingly worrying as I get closer to the Toyota 8 yr/100k expiration (I presume the power train warranty includes the inverter?).
Yep, the warranty you purchased does not provide any additional protection. The inverter is covered under the 8/100 warranty. Read the hybrid covered items here:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/warranty/

Old 08-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I also own a 2006 Highlander Hybrid and have been reading the "VIN break" info posted "Maryland John" in various forum sites across the internet, including the above. I believe John deduced the "VIN break" from answers provided through an expert online subscription site (see link below). That's why you can't find an exact TSB.

The Toyota expert John interacted with never exactly said that the set of VINs provided are considered "VIN break" for determining whether a HiHy is at risk for inverter problem. The expert just said that new version of the inverter was installed on a HiHy after certain VIN. So the "VIN break" is a result that a person subjectively jump to conclude and is not something that was really stated right out by the Toyota expert. So I think you have to take the info with a grain of salt, in my opinion.
See the TSB below. It is clear that VIN numbers within the range are at a higher risk of failure.

This is not the only TSB for inverter failures in the Highlander Hybrid. T-SB-0386-08 dated Dec 16, 2008 also identifies another VIN range that is at risk. Model year 2006 -2008 Highlander Hybrids with a VIN number before JTEEW4#A#82015709 are also at risk of inverter failure. Note that there must be a "2" after the "8" in the VIN above to be in the affected range. The "2" in this position (11th digit) represents the manufacturing plant "TMK" where the affected vehicles were made.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thank you for the information.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast

Toyota just announced that they were recalling a million corolla and matrix cars due to potential for the defective ECU to suddenly flake out and potentially cause loss of power , result in accidents.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...+Matrix+Models

It sure seems like the highlander hybrid inverter failure problem would have the same potential for causing accidents, apparently toyota thus far is unconcerned with the potential for thier defective inverters causing injury.

Given Toyotas complete neglect for taking responsibility for this defective POS and absurd repair cost being passed on to owners beyond warantee, I would propose that the prudent thing for HH owners within the defective VIN block to do while still under warrantee is to drain the inverter coolant, drive and let the defective inverter toast itself, refill coolant and then tow it into dealer for a warantee replacement/repair. I would hope that the replacement inverters they are supplying now fix the original defect, anyone know for sure?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

Here is another report of an Inverter failure in a 2006 Highlander with VIN number below 60019910. Our car died yesterday in the middle of a freeway creating a safety hazard (I have already filed a report with the NHTSA and will be doing so also with the FTC). The mileage was 131,000 so outside Toyota's warranty. We live in CA. I have been reading a lot about the extended warranty to 150,000 for those that live in CA. Has anyone been able to benefit from that? Would love to hear from people about how their individual situations ended up since the posts on this discussion are a few months old and there aren't any outcomes reporting. How much did people end up payings? Did Toyota help anyone by cost sharing? Our car is in the shop right now...so would really appreciate some guidance and advice...

Last edited by igaal; 11-23-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by igaal
Here is another report of an Inverter failure in a 2006 Highlander with VIN number below 60019910. Our car died yesterday in the middle of a freeway creating a safety hazard (I have already filed a report with the NHTSA and will be doing so also with the FTC). The mileage was 131,000 so outside Toyota's warranty. We live in CA. I have been reading a lot about the extended warranty to 150,000 for those that live in CA. Has anyone been able to benefit from that? Would love to hear from people about how their individual situations ended up since the posts on this discussion are a few months old and there aren't any outcomes reporting. How much did people end up payings? Did Toyota help anyone by cost sharing? Our car is in the shop right now...so would really appreciate some guidance and advice...

Unfortunately, if your car was purchased outside of CA the 150,000 mile warranty doesn't apply if you moved to CA later, as I have.

But I would raise holy hell if I got the usual charge of $7-8,000 for the job out of warranty. Look at Don R's post two below yours, which has the TSB for inverter replacement under warranty. The last box "R & R Inverter....." gives labor time of 2.1 hours - in today's market about $250, which would leave the price for the inverter over $6750. I'll bet you could get a new engine for less.

Now think about it: the complete hybrid surcharge for the FWD '06 HiHy was $3500, as I recall. This included the inverter, inverter cooling system, two electric motors - one the large traction motor and smaller eCVT control motor - a 250#/288V-DC traction battery, a host of sensors feeding a complex hybrid management computer, nice upgraded wheels, and probably a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten. And they want twice that total for just the ****ed inverter???

If you are hit with that, raise Hell until it freezes over unless they drastically adjust it!!! They sure can't afford to have this type of bad price-goughing PR on top of the QC issues that keep piling up.

Pete

Last edited by PineywoodsPete; 11-23-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Igaal, my PM module isn't functioning as there was no "reply" button. So I tried to send new message, but text deleted.

At any rate, the CA warranty for hybrid components is for 10 years or 150,000mi, so you are well within it as your vehicle was purchased in CA. I interpreted your question as meaning you had moved to CA after purchase. Yes, your inverter is covered!

Pete

Quick Reply: Inverter shoots craps at 105,000 miles

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands