Originally Posted by strangeh
Nice. What mpg are you getting if I may ask. I just got an 06 with about 38k and it's been running a dismal 16.5 -18 and I'm looking for comparisons and any suggestions or ideas on maybe why since the dealer hasn't been of much use.
I have done lots of hours and miles
of testing (hazzards of going to college to be an an engineer) and here is how to get the best mileage out of your Highlander (I routinely average 27-31mpg with a 2006 Highlander Hybrid LTD)
1. Inflate your tires to the maximum pressure it says on the sidewalls (this will improve your mileage)
2. Adjust your driving techniques. Here is an easy method. Put your cell phone up on the center of the dash. (The hump right above the clock works great) Now drive conservatively enough that your cell phone does not slide out of place or off the dash. This will teach you to drive in the mannor you need in order to dramatically improve your mileage (keeping the KW needle as close to the hashed line markings as possible when accelerating).
3.Here is a rule of thumb to use- My Highlander gets 40MPG at 40 miles per hour. For every two miles per hour faster than that (or 2 miles per hour of headwind) the mileage will drop by about 1 MPG. 55 MPH
is an excellent speed to drive to get great gas mileage - about 30-32MPG. Give it a try!
At 75 MPH
my milage drops to about 21-22.
4. Leave the heat, airconditioning, electric seats off. (heat is fine after the vehicle has warmed up on its own).
5. Choose regular gasoline- not gasohol as your mileage will be lower with the gasohol blend.
6. Don't carry a lot of extra weight in the vehicle.