Oil change interval discrepency

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Oil change interval discrepency

My Rx 400h owners manual says change oil every 5000 miles but lexus website says this:

"Determining The Proper Maintenance Interval

Your Lexus should receive scheduled maintenance every 5,000 to 7,500 miles (or every 4 to 6 months), depending on your circumstances and driving habits.

5,000-Mile Or 4-Month Intervals

Use 5,000-mile or 4-month intervals if you primarily drive your Lexus under any of the following conditions: - Driving on unpaved or dusty roads
- Towing a trailer or using a camper or cartop carrier
- Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing

7,500-Mile Or 6-Month Intervals

Use 7,500-mile or 6-month intervals if you primarily drive your Lexus under conditions less strenuous than those listed above."

source: http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty_vehicle_protection/maintenance.html

Now I don't drive on dusty roads or tow anything or make repeated trips less than 5 miles in temps below freezing. So what do I follow? My owners manual or their website?

Lexus service is not cheap and I don't want to pay 50% extra (because of more frequent visits) if I don't have to.

Any suggesstions?

btw, how much does it cost for a scheduled maintenance at a Lexus dealership? I have no idea as I haven't put on that many miles yet.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil change interval discrepency

As a former Lexus owner, I can say scheduled maintenance at Lexus costs A LOT, at least at my local dealership. When I owned mine, the first "minor service" (i.e, oil change) was included at no charge...don't know if they still do that or not. Subsquent "minor service" vists were around $250, which included an oil change & "checking" various fluid levels, etc.

What I learned was the key thing to ask for was just a "Lube, Oil & Filter". Their charge for this modest service: $50. Still, twice as much as the local Toyota dealer though.

Of course, YMMV with your local dealership...perhaps some are more reasonable than others.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for replying. What about the service frequency? How often did you get it serviced and what do you suggest for me...5k or 7.5k?

Old 05-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

If you have a garage or other space it's incredibly simple, and cheap to DYI. It'll cost you about 30 on oil/filter and 12 for a catch pan.