Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:20 AM
Proud to be GM
Default Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell

Press Release dated September 17, 2006......

CHEVROLET TO LAUNCH WORLD’S LARGEST FUEL CELL VEHICLE FLEET

More Than 100 to Debut in 2007 in First Meaningful Market Test of Fuel Cell Vehicles
SAN DIEGO – General Motors committed to building the world’s largest fuel cell vehicle fleet today by announcing its next-generation fuel cell vehicle – the Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell.

GM will build more than 100 Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell vehicles and will begin placing them with customers in the fall of 2007, as part of a comprehensive deployment plan dubbed “Project Driveway.” Designed to gain comprehensive learnings on all aspects of the customer experience, Project Driveway constitutes the first meaningful market test of fuel cell vehicles anywhere. A variety of drivers – in differing driving environments – will operate these vehicles and refuel with hydrogen in three geographic areas: California, the New York metropolitan area and Washington D.C.

“General Motors is demonstrating its commitment to hydrogen fuel cells as the answer for taking the automobile out of the environmental debate and reducing our dependence on petroleum,” said Larry Burns, GM vice president, research & development and strategic planning. “The Equinox Fuel Cell is powered by GM’s most advanced fuel cell propulsion system to date, and demonstrates an important milestone on our pathway to automotive-competitive fuel cell propulsion technology development.”

Enabled by GM’s fourth-generation fuel cell propulsion system, the Equinox Fuel Cell is a fully-functional crossover vehicle, engineered for 50,000 miles of life. Importantly, the Equinox Fuel Cell is able to start and operate in sub-freezing temperatures during its 50,000-mile life. It is expected to meet all applicable 2007 U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and is equipped with a long list of standard safety features including driver and passenger frontal air bags and roof rail side-impact air bags; anti-lock braking system (ABS); StabiliTrak stability enhancement technology and OnStar, while providing all of the environmental benefits of hydrogen fuel cell technology.

“ The Equinox Fuel Cell is a real-world vehicle with real-world performance,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “The fuel cell technology is seamlessly integrated into a uniquely styled crossover vehicle that is distinctively Chevrolet. The Equinox Fuel Cell joins Chevrolet’s family of advanced gas-saving and alternative fuel vehicles.”

The Project Driveway market test will provide comprehensive insight into all aspects of the customer experience, including reaction to the exciting, smooth and quiet performance of a fuel cell vehicle, and refueling with clean hydrogen gas. “These learnings will directly influence future fuel cell vehicle generations and ultimate market acceptance,” Peper said. “ With Chevrolet being GM’s global volume brand, it makes sense that Chevy will lead GM’s fuel cell vehicle commercialization charge.”

About General Motors Corporation

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader for 75 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 327,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries. In 2005, 9.17 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. GM operates one of the world’s leading finance companies, GMAC Financial Services, which offers automotive, residential and commercial financing and insurance. GM’s OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

Specifications released separate from the press release.........

Specifications: 2007 Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell

General

Vehicle type:

5-door, front-wheel-drive SUV

Chassis:

independent MacPherson struts front, independent, 4-link trailing arm rear, disc brakes front and rear, friction brake blending to maximize energy capture, electric power assist steering

Seating capacity:

Dimensions

Wheelbase (in / mm):

112.5 / 2858

Length (in / mm):

188.8 / 4796

Width (in / mm):

71.4 / 1814

Height (in / mm):

69.3 / 1760

Curb weight (lb / kg):

4431 / 2010

Cargo volume (cu ft / L):

32.0 / 906.24

Fuel storage system

Type:

3 carbon fiber fuel tanks, compressed gas

Service pressure (psi / bar):

10,000 / 700

Storage capacity (lb / kg):

9.24 / 4.2

Fuel cell system

Power (kW):

Battery system

Type:

nickel metal hydride battery pack; regenerative braking

Power (kW):

Electric traction system

Front system:

3-phase asynchronous electric motor, FWD

Power (kW):

73 continuous, 94 maximum

Torque (lb-ft / Nm):

236 / 320

Performance

Acceleration 0-60 mph / 0-100 km/h (sec):

Top speed (mph / km/h):

100 / 160

Operating range (miles / km):

200 / 320

Payload (lb / kg):

750 / 340

Exterior

Colors:

white, and premium tri-coat Glacier Gold

Styling:

differentiated front and rear fascia, exhaust outlets, chrome accents, graphics

Tire size:

P225/60R17, 17-inch aluminum wheels

Interior

Content:

Premium cloth (leather free) seats and trim, 2-passenger rear bench with center console

Color & styling:

Glacier Gold theme with fabric and trim, unique floor mats and shift lever graphics

Instrument panel:

kW meter, fuel cell energy display

Fuel cell propulsion system

Operating life (durability, miles / km):

2.5 years, 50,000 / 2.5 / 80,000

Freeze capacity:

freeze capable without grid heater

Operating temperature (F / C):

-13 to +113 / -25 to +45

Standard equipment

OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation; electronic control HVAC; driver side power seat; deep tint windows; heated seats; keyless entry; power door locks/windows; power steering; driver information system; cruise control; AM/FM/XM navigation radio

Safety & security

Expected to meet all applicable 2007 U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS); driver and passenger frontal air bags and roof rail side-impact air bags; ABS; traction control; StabiliTrak; OnStar; navigation system

Product benefits

No petroleum consumption; EPA-certified zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) that emits only water vapor; zero propulsion system (greenhouse gases-GHG) emissions; instantaneous torque

Peace,

Martin

Old 09-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell

Awesome news !!!

2.5 years is definitely a worthy achievement given the contraints of the technology in its current state. Any idea on the cell replacement projected unit costs?

... but why a large vehicle platform again? I was hoping for a direct challenge to the Honda FCX currently on the field.

I can guess a number of plausible reasons but they would be just guesses.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 09-18-2006 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:18 AM
Engineering Professor

I hope that GM has set aside enough money for the lawsuits that will come when one of these explode. The practical time frame for hydrogen vehicles is never IMHO.

JeffD

Old 09-18-2006, 07:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
I hope that GM has set aside enough money for the lawsuits that will come when one of these explode. The practical time frame for hydrogen vehicles is never IMHO.

JeffD
Yeah, it's silly to put a combustable fuel in an automobile.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by msantos
Awesome news !!!

2.5 years is definitely a worthy achievement given the contraints of the technology in its current state. Any idea on the cell replacement projected unit costs?

... but why a large vehicle platform again? I was hoping for a direct challenge to the Honda FCX currently on the field.

I can guess a number of plausible reasons but they would be just guesses.

Cheers;

MSantos
Broader market appeal. More people can find a use for a vehicle that seats five with some room for carrying stuff than can optimize use of a vehicle that seats two or four and is focused on high fuel economy commuting. If the five seater can be made commuter friendly it's a win / win.

Peace,

Martin

Old 09-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Banned

Isn't this the size of the FEH?

It's larger than a Prius, but last I checked, the Equinox is not massive. I would prefer something like the Sequel - a CUV.

Don't let your GM frustration set a double standard - rip GM for crushing it's EV1s, then attack them again if they do put a FCV on the market that is not astronomically priced.

Yes, I am concerned with the challenges of fuel cell technology.

I earnestly would like to see GM complete a project like this all the way to the marketplace. My confidence in them would soar if they do.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Broader market appeal. More people can find a use for a vehicle that seats five with some room for carrying stuff than can optimize use of a vehicle that seats two or four and is focused on high fuel economy commuting. If the five seater can be made commuter friendly it's a win / win.

Peace,

Martin
Thank you Martin.

I actually suspected that to be one of the primary reasons... it does make sense. I really hope that this annoucement can be the first of many good news to come.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Isn't this the size of the FEH?

It's larger than a Prius, but last I checked, the Equinox is not massive. I would prefer something like the Sequel - a CUV.

Sequel and Equinox are based on similar chassis sets. So is the VUE. See a trend here?

So what's the difference between a CUV and a FWD SUV? IMHO, the person writing the article.

I should've mentioned in the earlier response that another reason for using utility vehicles instead of small sedans is simply the physics of battery location without trading off passenger comfort.

Peace,

Martin

Last edited by martinjlm; 09-18-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's nice to see GM is taking the next step on this techonology. Hopefully this will be the first step of many more to come.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Energy Independence

Sounds promising, and GM is risking a lot by this move. So, I'm thinking they REALLY think they're onto something - and maybe they think they can learn quickly, and just maybe put this on the market in 3-4 years.
I'm excited about the possibilities!

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Equinox Fuel Cell

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands