Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid Solar Panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Talking Hybrid Solar Panels

Article from autobloggreen.com:

You won't be able to cross the country in a solar powered Prius, but this type of aftermarket hack is exactly the kind of thing so many of our readers have been asking for. Solar Electrical Vehicles says their solar panel modifications (made from mono-crystalline photovoltaic cells) for 2004-2006 Prius models will generate 215 watts of renewable energy that charges a 3kW supplemental battery pack that "provides up to 20 miles per day of electric mode driving range and increased fuel economy." SEV says their system qualifies for up to $2,000 worth of Federal renewable energy tax credits which will then make the whole system pay for itself in two or three years. A solar roof for your Prius will cost between $2,000 and $4,000.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/05...-battery-powe/

Comments: Would love to get a panel for my FEH (esp. with a tax credit covering part of the cost). Just worried about possible damage(to the panel) and if it would void the hybrid warranty.

Also, wondering how much extra mileage I would get based on my driving habits (about 50/50 city/highway).

Nate

Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Solar Panels

Ignore the solar panels, there is a bigger story here....

This could be a 20 mile plug-in (PHEV) upgrade for only $2,000 to $4,000!!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Energy Independence!
Default Re: Hybrid Solar Panels

It was just a matter of time before someone came with this idea....
I hope that they make it availiable for other Hybrids too, but it was a wise choice to select the Prius, because of it huge popularity.