Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ready for $7 a gallon gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Ready for $7 a gallon gas?

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/04/4-a-gallon-gas.html

Both Qatar's oil minister and the head of OPEC can see oil hitting $200 a barrel before the end of the year and one analyst says gas could reach $7 a gallon within four years. That could mean cataclysm for the global economy.
The subprime housing meltdown has increased foreclosures, so people can afford larger hybrids. And perhaps they'll have to park them and live in them.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ready for $7 a gallon gas?

Effects of oil price increases in the past have always been overrated. I see no reason to think this is any different. I assume he means $7/gallon in the US. Europe and much of Asia is already paying close to that. $200 oil would increase gas cost there, but not that dramatically. I'm getting a little bored with predictions of impending doom.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Inherent flaw predicting doom and gloom. Most of the time, you're going to get it wrong. But if you get it right, you'll be lucky to get a byline.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yesterday, a headline on a major website (news) was claiming that $10 a gallon was not far away for the U.S. I am tired of hearing it everyday myself. It has gotten old. BUT I am glad that I bought a TCH. Makes me feel a little bit better that my personal consumption is going down no matter what it cost.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

No, I'm not ready for $7/g gas prices. A lot of people will be hurt by it. The well off can make minor changes to their lifestyles and not be bothered, but those on the lower end of the economic scale will find life very difficult. It's not just the cost to fill up the tank, but the cost of everything that's transported by trucks, trains, ships, and planes will cost more as they pass on the cost of fuel. I take no glee in anticipating the rise in fuel prices as it will cause more harm to the poor. Higher gas prices will spur the development of alternative forms of energy when it makes economic sense. But in the meantime, people are going to have to decide whether to put gas in their cars or pay for health insurance, or buy more expensive food.

Last edited by Mikesan; 05-02-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Mikesan
... It's not just the cost to fill up the tank, but the cost of everything that's transported by trucks, trains, ships, and planes will cost more as they pass on the cost of fuel. ...
Fossilized energy has fed our population and prosperity. I've driven tractors, hauled hay and fed cattle. I know where food comes from and mechanized agriculture runs on oil. Now that the supply of oil can no longer increase with demand, it will come up short. The sad thing are those who don't see the relationship.

My answer is to encourage the 'critics' to do it themselves. Sometimes a little hands on is all it takes to strike them with a 'clue by four.'

Bob Wilson

Old 05-02-2008, 03:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes. Remember - all those increased costs will force efficiency. There will be some increase in prices but then people will change habits and the environment will benefit.

I really don't understand people. They seem to want something for nothing. The only way to reduce consumption reliably is to increase prices. There is nothing better for the environment than $7 a gallon gas (except maybe $10 gas). Yes food costs go up - maybe people will eat less and eat less meat. We waste so much in this country that there is so much room to reduce consumption (food, energy, etc.)

The best idea for GW is a carbon tax - guess what - that amounts to a gas tax also and leads to higher prices. The market has beat the politicians to an answer.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

But isn't a carbon tax simply enviro-code for wealth redistribution? Doesn't it just make it more difficult for the productive to be more productive? Productive people and productive companies are what make this country a great place to live. I'm not against alternative energy, in fact I love the idea of nuclear power and don't understand why the environmentalists are so against it. We have the know how and plenty of the resource to do it. I'd support higher gas prices if we built up a robust nuclear power grid that made a lot of cheap electricity.