Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

The Toyota Prius is bad for the environment

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:13 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!
Default Re: The Toyota Prius is bad for the environment

I work for NASA at the Johnson Space Center in Houston. I can confirm that we did not test the Mars rovers at the plant described.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

I think it is quite ironic that some people are trying to justify the Battery in a Toyota Prius.

Some are claiming that the Prius only uses a small ammount of the Nickel Cadmium that is produced in these plants and seem to think it's not a big deal. Well, most people only use a small ammount of Gasoline produced in the world so I guess by your standards it is OK to drive around in Gas Guzzling cars?

The fact of the matter is that driving a Prius with a Nickel Cadmium battery is contributing to destroying the environment.

But it's ok only if you use a little bit, right???

Old 01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
Banned

Read this then find some credible sources about the toxicity of NiMH batteries.

Originally Posted by Blafone
I think it is quite ironic that some people are trying to justify the Battery in a Toyota Prius.

Some are claiming that the Prius only uses a small ammount of the Nickel Cadmium that is produced in these plants and seem to think it's not a big deal. Well, most people only use a small ammount of Gasoline produced in the world so I guess by your standards it is OK to drive around in Gas Guzzling cars?

The fact of the matter is that driving a Prius with a Nickel Cadmium battery is contributing to destroying the environment.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Obviously a Prius has NimH batteries, not Ni-Cad. Does your vehicle have any stainless steel in it? Lots of nickel and chromium in that. Plastic? A petro chemical. But don't worry, since you're only destroying the environment a little bit it's OK.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 2002 prius was at 349,531 miles when it was totalled in a accident. I NEVER replaced the batteries.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by vortex57
My 2002 prius was at 349,531 miles when it was totalled in a accident. I NEVER replaced the batteries.
Hey Jesse!

So how is the new ride working out?

Still storm chasing? (How do you chase an ice storm?) <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Old 01-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Engineering first

Thanks! We'll get busy removing those "Nickel Cadmium" Prius right away. Yeap, get right on that task. <GRINS>

You may want to start by reading the Wiki article about "Prius." <grins>

Bob Wilson

Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

My new 2005 prius is up to 142,500 or so and so far so good. Recently got back from a trip to Alabama. Still storm chasing waiting for the severe season to begin. Don't really go after ice storms.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Hurray for Yahoo

an intelligent, unbiased sounding account of the facts, or so it would seem

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0003334AA1xn5K

READ. Don't believe what you are told without doing some sort of background check. Don't take people's opinions as fact. And don't promote something you don't know enough about

Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Many I believe try to defend their decision, regardless on what (new) facts are discovered or submitted to them. So being bias, they try and say that the Prius is a good car, no matter what.

I am an avid car guy, and I do research all brands, no matter what type of vehicle.

The Prius is more bad than good for the environment. People can speculate about the future improvements, or how it gets good gas mileage, but keeping all of these factors in mind, from manufacturing, from the life cycle use of the product, and then how the product can be disposed or recycled, the Prius is actually very bad for the planet. So from the first model to todays current model, they produce toxic gases. A Partial Zereo Emission Vehicle or PZEV is cheaper, runs clean, and the manufacturing is not as bad as the Prius.

Do not take my word on it, Toyota themselves has made this announcement:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/study-pr...vironment.html

So do these "experts" on here know more than the company who made the product, and who has disclosed that their product is actually not as good as customers think they are? This came out by the way, from all of the recalls. When Congress started to dig into Toyota's documents, this document was discovered by accident. Toyota, by accident, included this as something else they have been hiding from the public. So instead of digging themselves a hole, they just fessed up.

Quick Reply: The Toyota Prius is bad for the environment

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands