Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

VUE 2007 FIRST drives

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:33 PM
04 prius 350,000km
Default VUE 2007 FIRST drives

canadian perspective:

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/...tid=55810&pg=1

edmunds perspective:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109253

from what I'm reading so far... its looking very positive. Maybe GM is pretty serious about hybrids but one quote I did like from the chief engineeer he said

"We think we've hit a real balance between technology, fuel economy and price," said Tarnowsky. The Vue Green Line promises to deliver a 20-percent improvement in fuel economy over a standard Vue with a four-cylinder engine. Additionally, the Green Line shaves about 1 second from the 0-to-60-mph time. This added performance and economy can be yours for about $23,000, easily making the Green Line the least expensive hybrid SUV on the market.
and reading the canadian review only shows more signs of sucesss. Hm... things can get very interesting!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: VUE 2007 FIRST drives

Very interesting, thanks for the post!

Looks like GM is finally realizing the potential of hybrid technology, and that it might actually make financial sense afterall.
Certainly the green Vue promises to be better than the standard Vue. It is no Ford Escape, but then it will apparently deliver better fuel economy than the HH or the Rx400h!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not so much that they are finally realizing it as their implementation of the technology is finally ready for prime time and their former cash cow is getting long in the tooth. They've been working on this and the other hybrid system for a good long while. Recent energy considerations are mostly coincidental, though certianly spurring things along.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This added performance and economy can be yours for about $23,000, easily making the Green Line the least expensive hybrid SUV on the market.

LOL where'd they come up with that? "least expencive"

Old 02-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My next thought is would you concider the HYBRID technology of today to be dated??

Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 PM
YA RLY.

I read the thread-starter's link from another car forum. Does anyone want to explain this sentence from the review?

GM Powertrain engineers weren't trying to save the world with technology that takes a postgraduate engineering degree to appreciate or operate.
Now I do have a postgraduate engineering degree but I fail to see how that would help me when driving an HCH or a Prius.

My interpretation is that there isn't a LCD display to tell you your real mileage (just the amazingly lame Eco Light) therefore it's the hybrid for the "regular guy". Dumb.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:13 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: VUE 2007 FIRST drives

I say the More the Better, not to mention that as all manufactures get into this Hybrid thing to whatever degree is better than doing (NOTHING).

Terry

Old 02-14-2006, 04:44 PM

After seeing the "hybrid system" at the auto show I think 20% will be achievable if the non hybrid system gets 20mpg. 4mpg increase sounds about right to me. However, The hybrid system is a joke and you can probably achieve just as good results by using common sense and changing your driving style. You notice they didn't give real world numbers. There is probably a reason for that. That reason is that when it comes to driving on the road most people driving the non hybrid version will probably get as good milage as the hybrid version.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sledge
I read the thread-starter's link from another car forum. Does anyone want to explain this sentence from the review?

Now I do have a postgraduate engineering degree but I fail to see how that would help me when driving an HCH or a Prius.

My interpretation is that there isn't a LCD display to tell you your real mileage (just the amazingly lame Eco Light) therefore it's the hybrid for the "regular guy". Dumb.

Thre BAS system IS simpler than IMA or HSD, period. That's what they're getting at. KISS at work. Easier to see, explain, understand. Hybrids, especially the poster-child Prius, have reveled in their techie pedigree. Tech scares lots of people, especially when it involves new-sounding words, any kind of voltage over 2 digits, and different dash readouts. Not logical, but there nevertheless. GM is barking up a smart tree here with this approach.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:24 PM

WRONG! It's not a heck of a lot more than the IMA. If you saw the size of the motor for the BAS you would be dumbfounded.

Now the 2-mode hybrid system is much more promising. If they can get that going they might have a shot.

As far as BAS goes. I've seen larger alternator on cars for car audio systems than the one used for the BAS. It's a nice idea, but frankly I don't see any significance in it.

Quick Reply: VUE 2007 FIRST drives

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands