'07 Camry Hybrid Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default '07 Camry Hybrid Battery Issue

Hi,

I drive a camry '07 hybrid, the car stops after driving every 2miles. Using an OBD2 redear to diagnose the car I have these 2 error code: P0A80 Replace hybrid power pack and P0A7F Hybrid Battery Pack Deterioration.
I read some article and found that changing the Battery ECU would solve the problems
Any help to go about this would be highly appreciated.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '07 Camry Hybrid Battery Issue

Can you provide a bit more info? After the car stops at 2 miles, I assume it starts again? What does the battery charge indicator do during this time. How many bars are you seeing?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

I didnt really notice what the battery indicator shows, however when i restart the car, it starts drive for a shorter distance then stops again.

Last edited by Autopedia; 09-18-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you Google each of those codes and messages you will get quite a few hits. Here are a couple:

P0A80

P0A7F

Basically I think the battery monitoring system is saying you have a battery problem. Voltage differential is too high, and internal resistance is too high. Both really bad signs that some of the battery cells have failed.

The other option is that the Battery ECU itself is defective. I believe there is another code for that. You may need a Toyota specific diagnostic tool.

I'm guessing to reset the ECU you would have to disconnect the 12 volt battery and let it sit for a while - perhaps overnight to ensure all charge is gone. Then reconnect again. However, that said, some report all kinds of problems when they lose the 12 volt. So, I will have to warn you about that.

I think you have a couple of choices. One is to disconnect the 12 volt and try to reset the Battery ECU by doing so. The other is to take the car to a Toyota dealer. Having no experience with disconnecting the 12 volts I would have to recommend the latter. On the other hand you may have nothing to lose by disconnecting it at this point. Obviously in the life of the car it is likely to happen sometime. It is not going to permanently damage anything, that isn't damaged already.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

There is no problem with disconnecting the 12 volt battery. When you reconnect the battery and start the car, wait until the system has completely recovered, after it has, shut the car down and restart, should work fine, mime did.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

why are you even bothering to discuss this? if he's under 100 000 miles, he's under warranty for ALL hybrid components, including controllers. if he lives in CARB state, he's covered for 150 000 miles.

WHAT'S THE MILEAGE??????

to reset ECU, SIMPLY PULL THE FUSE OUT. David, please, keep in mind, that what YOURS did, does not mean ALL are the same way. not sure if it was here or at toyotanation, but guy had to fork for over $500 to dealer to reset a bunch of error codes resulting from "easy" battery swap.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
... David, please, keep in mind, that what YOURS did, does not mean ALL are the same way. not sure if it was here or at toyotanation, but guy had to fork for over $500 to dealer to reset a bunch of error codes resulting from "easy" battery swap.
He must have done something else if all he did was replace the battery. This is from the Toyota Camry service manual:

HINT:After replacing the auxiliary battery, the hybrid system may NOT start. Follow the procedure below to initialize the system.
1)Put the shift lever in the "P" position.
2)Open and close any of the doors.
3)Restart the hybrid system

Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I know. I tried to find that post yesterday, failed. Too many to go through. He ended up having half a dozen error codes that had to be reset by dealer at whooping bil. Right or wrong - better safe than sorry.
Either way, it's THREE engine restarts, not two, that are supposed to do the trick. Power train has to be continuously cycled 3 times to reset all the lights.
When it comes to swapping mine out, I am using back up battery. I have small 12V ones, 3 of them, from my gate opener. Will be just fine for about 20 minute backup.
Should have bought Yellowtop Optima spring time, it's 25 bucks more now.
Then again, come to think about it - I think, I'll simply stick a marine battery in. Half price and more juice. Not worried about any gas leaks at all, that trunk ain't no sealed space shuttle cargo bay.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah even I think he must have replaced the Battery,as per the Camry manual you have to follow some steps to make the battery start again,and he must have not done these.
1)Put the shift lever in the "P" position.
2)Open and close any of the doors.
3)Restart the hybrid system

Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

How many Miles?

Quick Reply: '07 Camry Hybrid Battery Issue

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands