08 TCH check hybrid system

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Working Shmo
Default 08 TCH check hybrid system

Bit of background......

Got car during divorce (still not final). I have not driven in over a year and paid a fortune to tag it. Anyway.....

Check Hybrid System warning light is flashing at me as is Maint required. Oil change was about 8000 overdue and tag showed 10w-30 oil! I put in Mobil 1 synthetic 0-20 and new filter.

I think the reason she let me have the car is because I had to get it out of car jail. Yep, she got it repo'd. 12v batt was dead and the place put in a new one. Don't know the brand, but a typical lead acid. Part number 24-B and CCA 600. Off white 2 wire connector not connected to anything. Has a blue wire and yellow wire at battery. The rubber hose that runs thru the bottom of the car at the battery, not connected to a battery vent.

After new tire and alignment, also today, drove it a little. Runs fine, drives fine, but the hybrid system light flashes. It still operates on battery only under 40 mph, engine usually turns off when stopped. Drive battery is still charging. When I change mode to where the display shows a wheel and battery, there is no arrow either way like there used to be.

Oh, the little red triangle is also lit up on the dash. As I recall, that would pop on about the time the oil was overdue, now figure something else is up.

The car operates as I remember, but it's been over a year. Short of taking it to the dealer, which I'm going to do next week, any idea's? I don't want to throw parts at it, but it seems to run just as it did.

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Working Shmo
Default Re: 08 TCH check hybrid system

Forgot to mention.....

When I get into the car, I depress the brake pedal and push the start button. Car turns on, and there is a "ready" light on the dash lit in white. I'm wanting to say there was a green light on the dash, but can't remember.

I also just a bit ago reset the warning. Now the hybrid system warning is constant on, no flashing. The red triangle is still lit.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

You need to hook it up to a good, pro level scanner and see what is going on. Lower end scanners like those at most auto stores will not read the specific hybrid codes from Toyota or they will read the code incorrectly.

You can't just "guess and throw parts" at these cars unless you have a BIG bank account.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Professor Emeritus

Yea that stupid little triangle will turn on over any stupid little thing... Even if the washer reservoir is low.

The oil is not that big of a deal. But, now you have the "right oil in it". At the very least, you should see some improvement in fuel economy. Be sure to check the oil consumption for a few weeks to see if there was a problem.

To reset the Maint. light, put the trip odo in "A" and turn the car off. Simultaneously hold the start button while holding down the trip reset button until the little screen in the middle of the speedo tells you it is reset.

The lead acid battery needs to go at some point for safety reasons, unless you plan to build a battery box and vent the box out the trunk. Not really that big of a deal and I doubt that this is the cause of any of your issues. At a minimum, you should at least "vent it" until you get another one. The little wires you are talking about is probably the heat sensor wire for the original battery. You can just hot glue that to the top of the battery for now, unless they cut the wires.

As GH said, you need to have the car hooked up to a decent scan tool to really see what is going on. Even if it is the dealer.... At least you will know what is really going of with the car.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 07 TCH displayed the "check hybrid system", I continued to drive it for a few days and everything operated as normal. Dealer checked it twice and finally got an answer from Toyota, Neutral safety switch was replaced.

I should say that apart from brakes and tires that's the only replacement in 250000K or 155000 miles.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by AndyB

I should say that apart from brakes and tires that's the only replacement in 250000K or 155000 miles.
Wow! So, you are one of only 2 that I have heard of on the original ICE water pump. Mine made it to just over 100000 miles on the original. 155000 has to be a record!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
Wow! So, you are one of only 2 that I have heard of on the original ICE water pump. Mine made it to just over 100000 miles on the original. 155000 has to be a record!
Sorry I lied, the water pump was replaced but because it was done under warranty and did not affect my pocket I tend to forget.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by AndyB
Sorry I lied, the water pump was replaced but because it was done under warranty and did not affect my pocket I tend to forget.
Right on... Thats still darn good! I also am only on my second water pump. My only other expense has been a front drivers side "hub bearing". Probably need the 12 volt battery soon too. Still on the original @ 180,000 miles.

Its nice to see that some people are "going the distance" without multiple issues and expenses. I am always waiting for that traction battery or abs pump to become a problem... Always in the back of my mind... I hate that feeling.