12V battery change

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 12V battery change

With all that VSC light intermittently showing on my dash, I saw someone saying that can be caused by 12V batt going bad.
Mine was made in 2005, so I had cool almost 9 yrs out of it, so I finally replaced it yesterday.
MIne is 2007 model, made in June 2006.

I jumper cabled large 12V back up batt and MADE SURE 12V was flowing through jumpers, with v-meter, and MADE SURE jumpers stayed on through entire process.

Entire process took maybe 20 minutes. Undo 10mm bracket bolt and nut, take bracket, out, clamp jumpers solid, undo 10 mm cable clamps bolts, CAREFULLY loosen both clamps, not to disturb jumpers, disconnect thermistor connector, disconnect vent tube, pull battery out.

I bought Yellowtop Optima at Sam's, $179. It's much lower in height comparing to the OEM Panasonic, but it has a yellow cover that sides as battery base tray, what makes final height equal for two.
Thermistor is covered by yellow sticker on the battery left hand side, wire leads to it. Peel sticker off, take narrow flat head screwdriver, and pry thermistor out.

Insert battery into the battery compartment, Optima has battery poles on the side, opposite to Panasonic's, but cables are long enough to be installed that way. They are simply recessed deeper into battery compartment.
Disconnect jumpers, connect thermistor, and I had mine set atop of Optima's lid and held in place by the bracket. Secure bracket, but do not over-tighten, not to smash thermistor.

Now, the vents. Well, I do not believe there will be any significant hydrogen volume produced, but just for kicks, I'll have vent tubes installed and connected to the OEM vent tube. I'll post pics later through the day.

Oh, here comes the fun part. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Computer still reset itself. But there was no idiot lights and such. Nav reset itself, I lost all presets on stereo and in addresses and such in navigation.
Why it did it with 12V backup I do not know and care do I now.

Will add pics next.

OK, so this is the tubes and resin I used:

Now they are resined onto the battery factory vents:

And T-ed to the OEM vent tune:

And this is where thermistor is now, follow black wire going under the bracket:

Old 05-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V battery change

Optima D51 Yellow has battery poles on the correct side and has vent tube hole, makes for much cleaner install. $166 from elearnaid.com and includes thermal tape and free shipping. Installed in my '07 Camry with no problems. Including their website which includes photo of finished job as I didn't know how to post photo of mine http://www.elearnaid.com/opd51yetopba.html

Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V battery change

Don't really see much "unclean" with mine. That resin looks messy is only appearance.
Of course, not everyone has access to those tubes. I guess, for each of his own.