audio bluetooth system outgoing call voluume fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: audio bluetooth system outgoing call voluume fix

I cut and pasted this together for 09 Hybrid with Nav and Keyless start. Worked perfectly with the 8.1 Disk:

Here's how to access the menu and increase the bluetooth microphone volume on your '09 Highlander.

Note that I've been successful doing this with my '09 HH Limited with nav and Smart Key; also note that there are plenty of other buttons in these setup screens, some of which can really screw things up, so resist the temptation to "play around."

1) Foot off brake, all doors closed, cell phone with you in the car so it can sync to bluetooth

2) Set headlight switch to off/DRL

3) Turn ignition to "on" position - do not start the car. Wait for the nav disclaimer screen to appear.

For Ltd's with Smart Key, this requires you to depress the START button twice. As noted in Step 1, keep your foot off the brakes.

4) Press and hold the "info" button, which is one of the nav buttons next to "disp."

You must push and HOLD the info button while cycling the headlights. And yes, I do remember that you might see the info screen when you're doing this, but it's the combination of holding down the info button while cycling the lights that will get you to the setup screen.

5) While holding the "info" button, click the headlight switch back and forth from AUTO to OFF/DRL three times, about one movement per second. The sequence starts with the switch in the OFF position (step 2), and goes AUTO, OFF, AUTO, OFF, AUTO, OFF.

6) If you've been a very good boy or girl, your nav screen will change to a "System Check Mode" screen. Press MENU in the upper right hand corner.

7) From the Diagnosis Menu screen, press "Bluetooth TEL Check."

8) From the Bluetooth Handsfree Check Menu, press "Handsfree Voice Quality Set."

9) Now press the up arrows at "Send Voice Level" to adjust up from zero. I'm going to try a setting of 2 - I've heard that any higher settings than this and your voice will be louder but distorted.

10) Press "Set."

11) Back out of the menus as far as you can, then turn off the car.

12) Try out your new volume setting for the microphone!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

pandc, you are a genius! My wife's Highlander had such terrible bluetooth voice quality with her iPhone that I told her to forget using it. The technique you described worked perfectly. Her voice is now perfect at a setting of 2 on outgoing volume. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Here's another description of how to fix

the outgoing volume on an 09 Highlander. Same technique as below but a little more clear. Worked great. Do this link

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...32/index2.html

Old 06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

I have changed my setting from a 2 to a 3 to a 4!! No luck in making it any clear to the people on the other side of the line. I get everything from "you sound like you are far away" to "you're cutting off!" Also, it has not helped my voice recognition any! It's still crap...I can ask for phone book, and the nav thinks I am looking for post offices!!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

I've had handsfree in 3 other cars including a 2007 Lexus, and have owned top of the line $600+ phones, and never have gotten a clear hands-free experience. It is always clear for me, but the person on the other end complains of static, hiss, hum, low volume, etc. What I've found helps is 1) turning up the volume (turning up the volume turns up the MIC, which may not be intuitive), 2) don't charge your phone while on hand free or you'll pick up electronic interference, 3) move the phone away from your NAV/radio, like in a side door handle, etc. It still isn't good no matter what I've done and after about 12 car/phone combinations I've come to realize it isn't the car or the phone, its just a limitation of the technology. Its like trying to achieve 54mbs on WiFi, it just isn't going to happen no matter what you do.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tharvey
Had this problem and with others managed to find the solution.

Sit in car with engine off, foot off brake and press ignition button twice.
Hold down info button and turn headlight switch quickly from off to on and back several times.
After a couple of times 3-4 you will go into a service mode
Select microphone and then use arrows to go from 0 to 2
Then exit screen by foot on brake and start car and test.
I can't this to work on my 07 wth Nav. Does anyone know of another procedure?

Old 08-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default outgoing call volume fix for 07 NAH with NAV

Originally Posted by tomscot2
I can't this to work on my 07 wth Nav. Does anyone know of another procedure?
I took our 07 NAH in for its 30K service yesterday and asked again to fix the volume. When I picked the car up the note on the service report was "is not adjustable." I insisted that it was and told them about the fixes posted here. The service advisor sent a mechanic to try to find the procedure and guess what: he found it, but didn't know it. After I played with it a little, I found the adjustment myself.

The adjustment on the 07 NAH with NAV is a Low, Medium, High. It was set on Medium so I set it to high. My preliminary finding is that it is better, but the real test will come when my wife, the primary driver, uses it on the freeway.

I have attached the instruction page.

OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Turn the ignition ON.
2. Turn the audio system off.
3. While pressing the "SETUP" button, turn the volume control dial clockwise or counterclockwise for 30 clicks or more.( When the

self-diagnos mode is started, a short beep will be heard.)

Once you have the opening screen:
1. Press CONFIRMATION/ADJUSTMENT
2. Press Down Arrow
3. Handsfee Phone
4. Press Handsfree volume Adjustment
5. Press Low, Medium or High
6. Press Back and turn off the ON/OFF switch.

You can then try it. I hope it works for you.

Attached Files
Old 08-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

One more tip: Nissan is recommending that to reduce noise interference being heard by the person on the other side of the call, you should reduce the volume of the in-car speaker with the audio volume control during the call. This supposedly improves noise canceling of the microphone.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tom, this is Nissan Altima Hybrid exclusive info, right?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
Tom, this is Nissan Altima Hybrid exclusive info, right?
I don't know for sure. It's probably worth trying if your callers are having problems hearing you, no matter what system you use.

Quick Reply: audio bluetooth system outgoing call voluume fix

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands