Camry transaxle fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default Camry transaxle fluid change

For those wanting a "how to" for a transaxle fluid change, here you go. It takes about 30 minutes to do and if you can do an oil change on your car, this procedure is well within your comfort zone.

trans_01.jpg

Start off by going to your friendly Toyota dealer and buy 5 quarts of Toyota type WS fluid and while you are there, pick up several (at least 3) 18mm crush washers.

trans_02.jpg

To get the fluid into the transaxle, you will will need a pump or have someone on top feed it to you (can get messy...). A good choice are these cheap pumps that can be found at most auto parts stores.

trans_03.jpg

Here is the view of our work area from underneath the car. The fill and drain plugs are as noted. Start by using a 10mm hex bit socket to remove the FILL plug first. You should always do this in case you have a problem breaking the fill plug loose. A quick way to ruin your day is to drain the fluid and then not be able to get the fill bolt out.

trans_04.jpg

Here we are with the fill plug removed. You might hear some air pressure release when removing this plug, don't worry, it is normal if it occurs.

trans_05.jpg

Now to the fun part, remove the drain plug and allow the transaxle fluid to drain out completely.

Install the drain plug with your torque wrench set to 29 ft-lbs and a new crush washer on the plug.

Fill the transaxle with roughly 4.3 quarts of Toyoto type WS fluid. You know you are done when it runs out of the fill hole. The proper fill level is 0mm to .5mm below the opening.

Torque the fill plug to 29 ft-lb with another of you new crush washers and you are done.

Total cost (at my dealer) was $9.33/qt ($46.65 plus tax) and about 30 minutes of my time. Not too bad considering what some have been charged.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 02-04-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry transaxle fluid change

Thanks for posting it. I've bookmarked it. Now if I can only remember where, when it comes time to do it...

Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Ron, I will make a "sticky" out of this thread and the inverter coolant change thread.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not that I feel insulted, and even asked someone here to sticky it - what was wrong with this write up?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-change-26791/

Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Not that I feel insulted, and even asked someone here to sticky it - what was wrong with this write up?

Why I thought it was obvious, you wrote it......

Just kidding, this is the reason I was asking about the sticky threads. We are starting to lose a bunch of good "how to" posts.

By the way, your post is now the sticky for the fluid change....

Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Darn, I read through that post - it's a well written write up. I am not smart enough to come up with something like that. Must have been someone else.
Thanks, Georgia man!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ukrkoz

Nothing... I thought it was great!

The first time I did this a couple years ago, there was no "how to". I just winged it. At that time I used the pump method. I will NEVER do that again. I just changed this oil again recently. The funnel method is much easier and faster. Especially if you are old like me and have a bad back. A couple months later "ukrkoz" posted this. Funny... Only problem with the funnel method is that you need to insure that you funnel and tubing is "pristine clean" inside before use.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is the transaxle like a coolant replacement where the level can change after you run it and fill air locked cavities? Has anyone done a change, drove it for a while and checked the level again to see if it needed a top up?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Ron,

It is like filling up an old school 3 or 4 speed manual with gear lube. Fill it up and forget unless you develop a leak. I have checked mine after filling it and driving for a few weeks and it stayed at the same level.

Litespeed,

I did cheat a little and didn't show the air powered pump I use for fluid changes, just the manual pump that I put any extra fluid left over into for storage. Not many people are interested in something that costs that much for limited useage. The funnel would be quicker if the car was near the ground but for me using a lift, it would mean raising it up and down to check the level when it gets close to being full.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Ron,

It is like filling up an old school 3 or 4 speed manual with gear lube. Fill it up and forget unless you develop a leak. I have checked mine after filling it and driving for a few weeks and it stayed at the same level.

Litespeed,

I did cheat a little and didn't show the air powered pump I use for fluid changes, just the manual pump that I put any extra fluid left over into for storage. Not many people are interested in something that costs that much for limited useage. The funnel would be quicker if the car was near the ground but for me using a lift, it would mean raising it up and down to check the level when it gets close to being full.
Hey Georgia.... I have one of those too. The time is takes me to find half the stuff in my garage is daunting. The whole funnel thing just seemed "genius" to me at the time. I tried it, and it worked. I was in the AF too. A C-130 "Dedicated Crew Chief". I was even selected and participated in the AMC's Air Mobility Rodeo... A pretty big deal, if your a military guy.

I was an auto mechanic many years before then. My tools are worth more than my house.. But, no need to post photos or brag about what they are worth (you know what I mean)....

Thank you for your service!!

Quick Reply: Camry transaxle fluid change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands