Cigarette Lighter Adapters

Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Advanced Technology-PZEV
Default Cigarette Lighter Adapters

For some reason my cigarette lighter adapters won't work. I trid charging my phone and it says "charging Error" my ipod says "cannot charge"

I was wondering if any of you faced the same issue?

Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cigarette Lighter Adapters

Never seen that. Your car may have a problem if two devices are not working.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:34 PM
07 Camry Hybrid!

for both power ports the car has to be on in accessory or run. no power is present when the car is off.

Both of my sockets are tight, so make sure you have the plug in deep enough for the center post to make contact. when I pulled out my phone charger, the whole plate came up with it. So, be gentle.

I took a file to the edges of the contacts on my phone charger. it's coming out of the socket now without pulling up the plate with it.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Pacific85]for both power ports the car has to be on in accessory or run. no power is present when the car is off.

I'm wondering if there is a way to change when power is available at the accessory outlets. On my current car a Pontiac Bonneville (my TCH is on order) it was possible to change the fuse position so that the accessory outlets are powered continuously. This allows me to recharge my phone overnight. Recharging something like a cell phone uses a negligible amount of power.

Last edited by Paulgw; 10-18-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not having the power on is a pain. At work my cell phone was complaining about low power. I put the car in ACC mode and let it charge for an hour. Walking away with the key didn't take it out of ACC mode. I don't know if someone could have walked up and start the car, but I work on a navy base in a small building with my car right outside my window so I wasn't worried. Obviously I wouldn't recommend this in a big city.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Enthusiast

I had the same problem with the lighter near the center console. It turned out that it was never connected to the car's electrical system.

So my dealer put the connector in the right place and now all is well.