Does the 2az engine have hydraulic lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Does the 2az engine have hydraulic lifters?

Hi again guys im having some noise and i think its the hydraulic lifters but i once heard that the 2az doesnt hav hydraulic lifters is that true?
coz im trying to solve this by adding liquo moly hydraulic lifter oil additive but havnt added it yet and honestly afraid to do so so i wanna hear some thoughts about this if its k to put it if there is hydraulic lifters and if there isnt any.
your info is much appreciation concerning this issue. Thanks

BTW This is my first day on this forum and i was recommended to seek help here.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Does the 2az engine have hydraulic lifters?

Your engine does not have hydraulic lifters and a slight amount of noise is often normal if you are using 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil in hot weather. Make sure what you are hearing is clatter from lifter though and not valve clatter. The latter is often heard while under a load with throttle input (going uphill and running a low rpm and try to accelerate without going to a wide open throttle, the less throttle the better in this case).

If that is what is happening, there is nothing wrong with your oil, just your engine tune. If the lifters are clattering, try a different brand of oil in that grade and then possibly try a test run using 10W-30 oil to see how the engine noise responds. Also make surer your oil filter has an anti drain-back valve that works.

What brand of oil and oil filter are you using currently?

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 09-28-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 AM
Enthusiast

yea thats exactly what happens to me its when i accelerate uphill or put load on it on normal streets.
well for the oil i use 5w-30 full synthetic with the oem toyota filter i switched to this oil a month ago and i had a start up noise that was gone when i started using it i think this is better for my climate i live in jordan where hot is pretty hot and cold is freezing so i ditched the 0-20 5-20 they both didnt work well with me.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 AM
Enthusiast

oh i didn't write the brand i forgot its name but its smth between cheap and fancy like a mid range oil so to speak.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Any 5W-30 synthetic oil that meets ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 specs should work fine in your engine as will the factory OEM filter given your location. I would change the oil more often than the 7,500 mile factory interval though given the airborne dust levels where you live.

Your original problem is caused by the way most hybrid owners drive and the ability of the ECM to adapt to that style of driving. With very small throttle inputs, lots of coasting and driving for maximum economy, the ECM will gradually put a custom tune on the engine that has the engine running in a VERY lean condition. The fix is to have the dealer or an independent with the right scan tools to reset the engine tune in the ECU back to factory specs. Some ECU's can also have a hard reset by removing a battery cable for 15 or 20 minutes and then hooking the battery back up again.

Please note that by doing the later, you can sometimes get an error that can be cleared easily enough. Do a search on here for that issue if you try this method and have that result or post back and the group will help you with it.

David

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 09-29-2013 at 08:20 AM.