First Problem - Moonroof Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default First Problem - Moonroof Malfunction

I've encountered my first problem with my 07 TCH.

Yesterday morning, I tried opening the moonroof. The motor lowered the rear part of the moonroof, but did not open it. It sounded like the motor didn't have enough power to move the roof - it just seemed to die. There were no obstructions blocking its movement. I tried to open it several times with no luck. Each time, I was able to fully close the moonroof (return the rear part to its "up" position).

Later in the day, the roof operated normally but I had the same problem again this morning.

The tilt function works fine.

Has anyone else experienced this or is anyone aware of a TSB concerning the moonroof?

Thanks in advance...

Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First Problem - Moonroof Malfunction

I just started having a simular problem on a 2009 model. I can raise and lower the rear no problem however when I try to slide it open the rear goes down, I get a big thud several seconds later then it will slide open.

It seems that if i lower the roof then after waiting several minutes I open the roof so it slides inwards it will work with no problems.

Tim

Old 06-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had the exact same problem as tharvey in my 2007. The dealer said it was a known problem and told me they would need to either replace the rails or add a piece to them. Apparently the moonroof binds due to bad alignment in the track.

During the repair, they ended up shattering my moonroof, so they ordered a new one and installed it. It works pretty well now, but they got some grease on the roof fabric (pretty minor, but still annoying).

I recommend you get it fixed soon because this problem puts a lot of stress on the motor/gear assembly and could reduce the life-span of the moonroof in the future.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for letting me know and for the advice. Do you know if there are any advantages to either solution (replacing rails or adding a piece)? Also, was there a delay in getting a new moonroof or is this something dealers keep in stock?

Off to the dealer I go...

Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My dealer does not keep that kind of part in stock. It usually takes my dealer 1 - 2 weeks to get a part (a rare part).

Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll probably get the brake TSB and an oil change done at the same time. I've been putting the TSB off for quite a while now.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't get too in depth with the dealer about the parts that would be involved during the repair, so I'm not sure about what constitutes a track repair or replacement. Regarding wait times for parts, they simply sent me a postcard (about 2 weeks wait) when the part came in and I brought my car over the next day. They said that if they hadn't broken my moonroof glass, they could have had the car finished the day I brought it in. It ended up taking 3 days for them to get the new moonroof (from a sister dealership) and install it.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks again, Andrew.

I've not taken my car in yet since I'm waiting to schedule my next oil change (dealer does it for $8.95). I really hope they can take care of everything (oil, moonroof, and brake TSB) in one day.

I'll report the results when I get it done.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I sometimes get a noise when I slide open my sunroof and then close it. It is a metal on metal noise right above my head. I thought something was loose for awhile and there was another discussion on it. I am so torn as to if I want the dealer to look into it. As long as I slide it open and close it again (or multiple times) it will usually fix itself.....I am just afraid of additional damage and I am not good about checking for damage before leaving.

How sad is it that we are afraid to take our cars to the dealership for repairs?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't have any indications that mine was going to stop working.

This will be my first trip to the dealer for a repair. Up to now, all they've done is change the AUTO setting on the A/C to "manual" and change my oil. No complaints so far...

Quick Reply: First Problem - Moonroof Malfunction

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands