Headlights staying on too long for me!

Old 10-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Headlights staying on too long for me!

Does this bother anyone else? I've never had a car that the headlights remainded on after the car has been shut off. I read from the manual that the dealer can modify the time the lights will remain on. Has anyone else had the timing dropped to 10 seconds or even 0?

There is just something unnatural about walking away from your car with the headlighs still blazing. I'm always double checking that they actually go off.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Headlights staying on too long for me!

Originally Posted by starlifter737
Does this bother anyone else? I've never had a car that the headlights remainded on after the car has been shut off. I read from the manual that the dealer can modify the time the lights will remain on. Has anyone else had the timing dropped to 10 seconds or even 0?

There is just something unnatural about walking away from your car with the headlighs still blazing. I'm always double checking that they actually go off.
You and me both...

I was playing with the gadgets in my car the other night and had the headlights in automatic mode. I shut the engine down and just sat in the car for 5 minutes and the headlights never did shut off. Finally I shut them off manually and then set the switch back to automatic mode again (they stayed off).. I suppose it monitors the doors to see if they have been opened/shut before it trips the timer but I still did not like the way they operated.

Another oddity is the Map lights. Someone else posted that the Map lights will automatically shut themselves off after being left on for a period of time. Last week this was not the case as I was - again - playing with gadgets and had the map light on. Gave it up for the night and went in the house. My son came home a few hours later and informed me that my map light was on! Well - I shut them off but wondered where this "automatic" feature was and if it was somehow disabled on my TCH.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
You and me both...

I was playing with the gadgets in my car the other night and had the headlights in automatic mode. I shut the engine down and just sat in the car for 5 minutes and the headlights never did shut off. Finally I shut them off manually and then set the switch back to automatic mode again (they stayed off).. I suppose it monitors the doors to see if they have been opened/shut before it trips the timer but I still did not like the way they operated.

Another oddity is the Map lights. Someone else posted that the Map lights will automatically shut themselves off after being left on for a period of time. Last week this was not the case as I was - again - playing with gadgets and had the map light on. Gave it up for the night and went in the house. My son came home a few hours later and informed me that my map light was on! Well - I shut them off but wondered where this "automatic" feature was and if it was somehow disabled on my TCH.
Works that way on our '05 Sienna. The headlights stay on until you exit the car AND close all the doors, (and for that matter do not re-open them while the lights are still on!). If you want to unload lets say, they would stay on indefinitely!

As for the map lights, they do not go off on our Sienna either. I believe the 'Battery Saver' feature is only for headlights left on in manual mode.

We have a Honda, and everything turns itself off after 5 minutes. Unfortunately, Toyota seems to be way behind in common sense features!

Old 10-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Nifty feature - hit the lock button twice on your key fob after exiting the TCH and the lights go out immediately.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:45 AM

Covered in earlier threads.

The times the dealer can set this to are 30 sec (default), 60 secs, or 90 secs.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by flopshot
Covered in earlier threads.

The times the dealer can set this to are 30 sec (default), 60 secs, or 90 secs.
flopshot, according to http://toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm, the options that can be selected for "Headlight Off Delay" are "off/30/60/90 seconds" I assume "off" means the lights would go off with the ignition?

I also find it unnerving that they stay on, and will ask my dealer to change this to OFF the next time I am there.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:09 AM

Yup, OFF means they go off immediately, but I'm not sure if this is when the ignition goes off, or when the doors are locked. I'm guessing it's when the doors are locked.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by nash
Nifty feature - hit the lock button twice on your key fob after exiting the TCH and the lights go out immediately.
I don't remember the last time I actually used the key fob for anything. It's buried in my zippered side pocket and my wife keeps her's buried in her purse.
I like the headlights staying on long enough for me (or my wife) to enter the house and lock the front door. Thank's Toyota for this feature.