Help Please: Body Side Molding Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Help Please: Body Side Molding Install

I bought a set of Toyota Body Side Moldings for my TCH.

I need a little help with positioning the moldings on the car please.... No instructions were in the box.

I assume that I remove any wax, "peal & stick."

Can someone with the moldings please post the distance from the bottom of the door to the bottom of the molding. I assume that the bottom edge of the door is the "straight line" for the project. A quick measurement and confirmation that is is the same from the front to the back of the car would be very helpful.

Thanks!!

NOTE: My Assumptions above are not correct! See my additional posting below!

Last edited by Scooters; 07-29-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help Please: Body Side Molding Install

I checked the box that the moldings came in for the THIRD time. Rolled-up into the seam of the box were the instructions.

You do NOT measure straight-up from the bottom of the door. There are some specific measurements that you must use. They are a bit too complicated to list here without running the risk of confusing someone.

The moldings went on great. Once I got started, it took me about an hour to measure, mark and apply the strips.

If you can follow the instructions, you shouldn't have a problem. Basicly you measure up from some specific benchmarks on the car, run a horizontal piece of tape (I used the wide brown painters edging stuff), clean, peal and stick.

As always, YMMV

Old 07-29-2006, 08:51 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by Scooters
The moldings went on great. Once I got started, it took me about an hour to measure, mark and apply the strips.
Can you post a picture or two? I have avoided getting molding because it may take away something from the designers look for the car. Maybe I am overly concerned. It would help to see what the added molding looks like to see if it is worth doing.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

As Requested.... Pictures are posted in the picture "share" area of the board.

We weren't sure if we would like the BSM. However, we KNEW that we wouldn't like the the shopping cart dings on the plain side of a white car!

I know that it is hard to tell from pictures, but I really do think that the moldings look good on the car.

I liked the lines of the Camry, but in white, it was almost too smooth to be interesting. We were even debating on a pin stripe to make the car a bit more interesting. I think that we will hold on the stripe and keep the moldings.

Enjoy!!

Old 07-29-2006, 10:23 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Thanks for posting pics Scooters. It doesn't look bad. Good luck with your new car.

There were a few discussions about BSM's on this web site, but I think your's are the 1st pics posted with the BSM's applied.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Too Smug

Originally Posted by Scooters
I checked the box that the moldings came in for the THIRD time. Rolled-up into the seam of the box were the instructions.

You do NOT measure straight-up from the bottom of the door. There are some specific measurements that you must use. They are a bit too complicated to list here without running the risk of confusing someone.

If you can follow the instructions, you shouldn't have a problem. Basicly you measure up from some specific benchmarks on the car, run a horizontal piece of tape (I used the wide brown painters edging stuff), clean, peal and stick.

As always, YMMV
Looks real nice, Scooter. Maybe I'll spring for a set and try my hand at installing the molding. Its only a matter of time until that first ding. Why not an ounce of prevention.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast

Scooter-
What was the price for a set of side mouldings? What did the dealer want to install them. Did you get them from a dealer?

Old 07-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I got them from Toyota Parts Delivered. However, I suspect that you can get them from most of the on-line accessory shops. Here is the link:

http://www.toyotapartsdelivered.com/...t.cfm?design=9

Not sure it the link will take you to the right place. If not, I found them under "Camry" not "Camry Hybrid". There was no problem installing them on my tch.

Enjoy!

Old 07-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had mine installed by the dealer as part of my purchase. On my Blue Ribbon Met. it looks good...I saw a Silver Camry the other day with the moldings, and it looked horrible. The BSM s looked to be off-color, which only exacerbated their ugliness.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Along for the ride.....

They look really good on my silver TCH - maybe a bad lot?

I think they make it look like a Acura TL which is one of my favorite car designs right now