how to change engine oil by urself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default how to change engine oil by urself?

Is it possible to change engine oil and replace the oil filter by yourself without going to the dealer and paying skyrocketing fee of about$100?

If I can do it myself, all i can do is buy the oil by myself and the filter.

how do you change urself?

simple easy steps?

Old 07-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: how to change engine oil by urself?

shop around, $100 sounds high.
I paid $24.95 at a Toyota dealer, complained that they took too long (I was the first one in, came back 4 hours later and it wasn't ready) they gave me a coupon for a free oil change.
a local garage might do it for a fee if you bring the oil and filter.
DIY is okay, but if you mess up, it will cost you a lot more.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy1
Is it possible to change engine oil and replace the oil filter by yourself without going to the dealer and paying skyrocketing fee of about$100?

simple easy steps?
The answer is yes, you can do it yourself. It is simple, but you need to read the manual or speak with a friend who has done it before.,,,,

This post overlaps your other post in your original thread. You should do one of two things:

1. Read the FAQ and specifically the post dealing with general maintenance requirements and procedures.

2. Use the search capabilities of the forum to locate such information.

Mike

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 07-04-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmy1

simple easy steps?
1. Drive the car up on ramps
2. Open hood and go away for an hour so it cools down.
3. Place drain pan under crank case and remove 14mm plug.
4. After oil is drained clean up the plug and aluminum washer and out back in the hole. Do NOT over tighten! About as much as three fingers plus a thumb can pull the wrench should be sufficient.
5. Move drain pan forward one foot and unscrew the filter.
6. Wipe clean the gasket mating surface on the block.
7. Screw on new oil filter, reasonably hand-tight.
8. Fill engine with just under 5 US quarts.
9. Check Dipstick.
10. Start Car and make sure ALL dashboard warning light go OUT within 3 seconds.
11. Reset the "MAINT REQ'D" nag screen.
12. Back off the stands
13. Funnel the old oil into the empty oil container.
14. Find a Hazardous Waste recycling center and bring it there.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

sounds very hard to do by myself. i dont know what is which.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you've never done anything like it before then your best bet is to leave it to a professional, or at the very least a friend with some experience.

A $30K car is probably not the place to try something out for the first time if you have no idea what you're doing. A simple mistake could leave you with a 3,600 pound paperweight.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 AM

The biggest problem I had on my first oil change on my 2007 TCH. The factory puts their filters on too tight. I used a new cup type wrench to remove the old filter. It kept slipping, so I used a thin rubber grip used to unscrew tight lids on jars to insert in the cup then over the filter.

Snug your new filter after slightly lubing the gasket. I hand tighten then add some moderate tightening with the cap wrench.

With my car sitting level I put in 4 1/4 quarts of oil. I drove it to town and once back home I let it drain down for hour. I did the recheck which was on the money.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Since I was rotating the tires anyway as part of the maintenance, I removed the right front tire, which made it much easier to get to the oil filter and drain plug. I only tighten the filter as much as I can hand tight on every other car I've done and never had a leak so that is what I did here.

My dealer does free oil changes on the car (up to 3 a year) but I will be over that in a given year since I drive 52 miles each way to work. I figure in the summer I would do my own oil. In the winter, I will most likely have the dealer do the maintenance.

I personally prefer to do it myself since I know that I will do the job right and I enjoy working on cars.

For my purposes, several years ago I bought a oil pan/container combination. With it I drain the oil directly into a container that I can take for recycling. I can also do two oil changes before it needs to be taken out for recycling. Which is great when you have 2 cars, lawnmowers, etc. that all need oil changes.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK, so I went to the dealer and told them I needed oil change and I asked him if I still have to use synthetic oil this time like I did before when I had my first oil change.
He said no, I don't neccesserily need synthetic oil just cos I changed to synthetic oil last time.
So I went ahead with the regular valvoline oil change, 5 quarters I guess it says 5-30.

My cost was about 63$ total. I actually went in with some service coupon and I used the one that says MINOR SERVICE which includes tire rotation and some other check ups.

The coupon price for the service was $55.92.

The filter cost in the paper shoes $7.99. it didn't say toyota filter rather I saw some numbers and 2 letters, i wish they used genuine toyota filter.

does toyota filter cost about 7.99?

the service was finished in just over half an hour or 40 mins.

so, what you think went wrong or everything looks fine?

oil changes are done every 5000 miles and transmission oil change is to be done only when it reaches 30000 miles?
thanks

Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 AM

I think you should read the manual.
You've been asking the same questions in multiple threads....over and over again.
The manual will answer all these questions.
It's very easy to read...try it.

Quick Reply: how to change engine oil by urself?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands