How Much Is the Key Fob???

Old 09-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default How Much Is the Key Fob???

Ok, so I'm trying to get a new fob (mine was stolen) and I'm getting quoted different prices.

I'm told, at least by one source, the key is $338, + another $56 to program it. Another dealer told me the key is $278, + another $104 to program it.

What's going on? How much ARE these things? And what should it cost to program it.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How Much Is the Key Fob???

Either way you look at it, It's about $400 or so

Old 09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Has anyone actually had it replaced?

Old 09-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Too Smug

Originally Posted by MFLetou
Ok, so I'm trying to get a new fob (mine was stolen) and I'm getting quoted different prices.

I'm told, at least by one source, the key is $338, + another $56 to program it. Another dealer told me the key is $278, + another $104 to program it.

What's going on? How much ARE these things? And what should it cost to program it.
The cost to replace a SmartKey can be outrageous. The Center for Auto Safety said Toyota is among the worst offenders. Read the article at this link http://www.autosafety.org/uploads/ph...b%20replace%22

Old 09-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Has anyone actually had it replaced?
I purchased a 3rd (spare) for the wife's '07 XLE-V6 and paid $170 for the Fob and Key Blank and $100 to cut the key and pair the Fob to the Camry (it can pair with 5 fobs).
When I purchased the '07 CHV I had them trow in the 3rd spare Fob and key gratis which they were most happy to do.

Elmhurst Toyota, Elmhurst IL. also has great prices if you tell them you heard from them through the "Supra Forum".

J

Old 09-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

When we picked up our car our salesperson told us that replacing a key fob would be about $300, so that sounds pretty accurate.

I have to say, it is also around $300 to replace my husband's VW Jetta key fob and it's not nearly as technically fancy as the TCH key, so I don't feel quite as bad about it.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
When we picked up our car our salesperson told us that replacing a key fob would be about $300, so that sounds pretty accurate.

I have to say, it is also around $300 to replace my husband's VW Jetta key fob and it's not nearly as technically fancy as the TCH key, so I don't feel quite as bad about it.
That is around $250 more than they are worth, picked up one for my VW on e-bay for $25 and had a key made for $5.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Wannabe Enthusiast

We're still waiting for our car -- supposed to be this Thursday, keeping our fingers crossed -- but I asked about how much it would be to get an extra key fob. The sales guy said it was $500. Sounds like typical pre-sales hype to me...

Old 09-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

After a lot of negotiating and calling around to various dealers, I ended up paying $323, all-in. So $500 is hype, but its still ****ed pricey.

And that does NOT include a cut key. Just the fob + programming. The tech had never done one before, and the dealership had never sold one. It apparently wasn't particulary easy to program.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

It apparently wasn't particulary easy to program.
It took my dealer about 15 minutes total. They do need at least one existing FOB in addition to the new one to do the pairing. Or so they told me. More likely they needed the existing key to clone a new one. The most difficult part was getting the key cut. It's not the kind of key the local Tru-Value can do. My Toyota dealer didn't have the key cutting machine but they also own a Lexus dealer which has one so they just had them do it.
J

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Much Is the Key Fob???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands