How to remove the air filter.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member
Cool Re: How to remove the air filter.

I just removed the two screws on the right side and slipped out the old filter and slipped in the new filter (gently open the housing enough to slide the filter out). I didn't like the idea of possibly breaking the plastic components on the left side. No problems with the slide in method. Advanced AutoParts had the Purolator Air Filter for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid for $9.88 (A35432). They didn't have the cabin air filter yet but I went ahead and matched the closest one which was Purolator Green boxed Cabin Filter for $12.28. It fit snugly. Just make sure if you use the C35530 to note which way the filter is up and just turn the filter horizontally around until it fits the correct way into the Camry Hybrid. So far, no problems with the cabin filter adjustment.

I tried the NAPA store for both filters but they had neither. No store including Autozone, AutoParts, etc had the 2007 Camry Hybrid exact cabin air filter. Shame! Just for grins, anbody know what the dealer wants for the cabin air filters?

I have a Japan made 2007 Camry Hyrbid. It gets 41 mpg in the city and 43 on the highway. I live and travel to work on flat surfaces and use the accelerate and glide method as it is come to be known.

Last edited by bugs; 07-14-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How to remove the air filter.

How do you get the charcoal filter out? Does it ever need to be replaced?

Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

did the same as bugs. Ordered both cabin and engine off ebay.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just removed the two bolts and opened up the housing enough to pull the old filter out and put the new one in. I didn't want to mess with undoing everything else just to get the filter swapped. Total time was less than 5 minutes.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

Easy as apple pie!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:25 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Originally Posted by bugs
I just removed the two screws on the right side and slipped out the old filter and slipped in the new filter (gently open the housing enough to slide the filter out). I didn't like the idea of possibly breaking the plastic components on the left side. No problems with the slide in method. Advanced AutoParts had the Purolator Air Filter for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid for $9.88 (A35432).
I just changed my 2009 engine air filter using the Bugs 2 bolt removal/lift method. Worked super! The hooks at the other end popped out and I had to lift and push the cover back hard to get both back in (the rear one has pressure from other components connected to it when lifted) but it still was easy. Note the bolts are 10mm. I used a Fram filter from Wally World.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

All you need to do is to loosen the two 10mm bolts and the housing will come up enough to remove the filter. The square corner will go the the front, drivers side of the car. Make sure you have the two hooks on the passenger side in the correct place before you tighten them.

It only take a minute to replace the air filter and you do not need to remove anything other than those two bolts. You guys are making this WAY to hard on yourselves.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM

DO NOT leave the screw loose that clamps the air box outlet to the Mass Air Flow housing. I did that first time I changed the AF. Car sounded like it was coming apart at the seams. I had it towed to the dealer. They printed out, then cleared seven pages of fault codes, tightened the screw and billed me $119.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:12 PM

Ouch, that hurt just for a loose screw. You got hit with the hour of labor for 15 minutes work. I wish I could charge for my time like that. If your like me, it would be one loose screw working on another! LOL! I just take the two screws loose and raise it carefully and pull the filter out.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, this was very helpful. For my 2007 Camry, it was a 10mm socket. And for that wireharness trick (which is excellent, BTW) I just used a 6mm and gently rocked it back & forth. For folks just reading this, you need to use this socket from underneath to free it. One can change the filter without removing the harness or hose clamp, taking the entire housing off as shown is useful should you need to vacuum the the filter box out (mine had a fair amount of fine debris in it.) Also if you go this route a small precision flat blade screwdriver blade gently inserted under the plastic tab that holds the electrical connector together will help it come off easier. (note, I said small and gently)

Lastly, don't forget the cabin air filter while you are replacing this one. It is located behind the glovebox. I paid around $15 for each and my NAPA had both.

Last edited by GJinVA; 05-27-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Forgot an item

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove the air filter.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands