Hybrid battery failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Hybrid battery failure

Hello All

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I occasionally browse the threads and see some familiar names...

Well after nearly 6 years of ownership and 78K miles our hybrid battery failed and is now kaputt. I'll give you a little history.

We went on vacation over the Christmas holiday so the car sat for a couple of weeks. We have been on a number of vacations where the car has sat for that length of time in the past. To my knowledge the car was functioning "normal" prior to our vacation. I say to my knowledge because my wife drives the car. On Monday I hopped in the car to drive down the street (1/4 of a mile) to pick up something to eat. I noticed the car didn't feel right while I was driving it. It almost felt like it was sluggish and slipping (losing traction). No warning lights were going off so I didn't think anything of it.

Well yesterday my wife jumps in the car to go to work and warning lights start going off. The check engine light went off, "check VSC" displayed in the MFD and "check hybrid system" displayed in the MFD. She said it backed out of the garage fine but as soon as she put it in drive and drove up the driveway all the lights started flashing.

I came back home from work and my wife and I immediately took the car to the dealership. After about an hour the service writer tells me it looks like the hybrid battery is the problem and the tech has to do a few more tests to definitively determine if that's the problem. A short time later he came back and said the battery needs to be replaced. He said they don't have any of those in stock and they'll have to see if their regional location has any. He said they can install the battery one day but it might take a day or two to get another battery in stock.

I was curious to know what the cost was for the battery and the service manager told me they run around $3500. He said it will probably take about 4 hours to install.

Fortunately, the battery is still under warranty so it won't cost me a dime. I need to make sure I find out what the warranty is on the new battery. Surely the warranty won't run out at my 8 years (or is it 7 years) / 100K?

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Last edited by tnsig; 01-03-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid battery failure

I'm surprised at hearing about your early traction battery failure at 78,000 miles. Your Camry warranty and maintenance guide should tell you the warranty on your battery. The new one is guaranteed for a year from toyota. If you were 2 or more years till the original warranty is up, then the new battery will be warrantied for that period of time.

Your service-person should be able to give you the exacting details.

The hybrid system for the '12 TCH shows 96 months or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. California warranties the traction battery for 120 months or 150,000 miles.

The powertrain, engine, transmission and axles are warrantied for 60 months or 60K miles.

I have heard of used toyota traction batteries on Ebay for $300 to $500. Some fellow has a business rebuilding traction batteries by replacing the few weak cells and then repeated testing to make sure of it's overall quality. His batteries cost about $1850 exchange and come with a years warranty.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

All is well with the new battery. So glad I didn't have to pay for it. Total cost would have been $4K ($3600 for the battery and $400 for labor). Let's hope this battery lasts a while :-)

Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Vince,

I doubt you will have any more trouble. After watching the hybrid boards for over 5 years, I can count on one hand the number of Camry hybrid batteries that I have heard of that needed to be replaced. Even then, I would still have fingers left over....