GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Toyota Motor Corporation > Toyota Camry Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarageUsed Cars Add a Tank

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: TCH
Default just had a windshield replaced - a few thoughts

I just my windshield replaced. My TCH was made in Japan and the note on the windshield said:
Toyota Lamisafe
LP ASAHI MEK 4 ASI DOT 20 U

My new windshield says :

TOYOTA
LAMISAFE
M834 AS1
DOT-376

I got this particular replacement windshield after the Glass Doctor contacted Toyota with my VIN number and they said that this was the only windshield that their system pulled up per my car.

In another thread, I saw that someone said that their TCH was made in Kentucky and their original windshield had exactly the same note as my replacement one.

So, here is my little theory:

The correct Toyota replacement windshields for TCH now are the same as for TCH made in Kentucky - thus the difference in the notes. To test this, I am going to ask these questions and hope that some of you can answer it:

1) If your TCH was made in Kentucky and you still have original windshield, what does the note on it (bottom left corner) say?

2) If you had your windshield replaced with "Toyota Lamisafe", did the note on the replacement one say, Toyota Lamisafe LP Asahi Mek 4 ASI DOT 20 U ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Somewhat hard driver

Hybrids: Camry Gray/Ash
Default Re: just had a windshield replaced - a few thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
2) If you had your windshield replaced with "Toyota Lamisafe", did the note on the replacement one say, Toyota Lamisafe LP Asahi Mek 4 ASI DOT 20 U ?
Had mine replaced about two months ago (Japanese TCH one year old) and mine says: "Toyota Lamisafe LP Asahi Mek 4 ASI DOT 20 U".

I have a good honest glass guy and he ordered original glass. Only one part number came up for the Hybrid (I was there when he ordered it on the phone).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: Titanium Toyota Camry w/ NAV (no energy screens)

Mine is made in Kentucky, says:
TOYOTA LAMISAFE M834 AS1 DOT-376

--My hybrid came home!--
Ottawa owners check in here

Randy

Old 07-07-2007, 08:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: loaded 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Titanium Metallic/Ash Leather

I still have the original windshield (my 2007 TCH was made in Japan and purchased it on 9/06) and states:

TOYOTA LAMISAFE LP
ASAHI M8K4 AS1
DOT - 20
U

As an FYI, it is AS1 and not ASI (it is 1 and not I).

Last edited by agnosto; 07-10-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 07 NAV-TCH - 13 HH AWD

I also have a unit built in japan and my glass says

TOYOTA LAMISAFE LP
ASAHI MEK4 AS1
DOT - 20

purchased last july
Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2007 toyota camry

How can you tell if your car was made in Kentucky or Japan?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 08FEH

If the very first letter of your V.I.N. is a J your vehicle was built in Japan. Any other character (example: 4 or 2) would be USA built.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 07 NAV-TCH - 13 HH AWD

Reall easy - look at your VIN number if the first character is a "J" - your car was bilt in Japan otherwise Kentucky
Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Hybrids: 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

I just checked the (still original) windshield on my Japanese-made TCH. It says:

Toyota
Lamisafe
LP Asahi
M8K4 AS1
DOT 20
U

I believe that all the previous postings with "M3K4" or "MEK4" are in error. That's an '8' not a '3' or an 'E'.

Stan
Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM

Hybrids: Titanium Toyota Camry w/ NAV (no energy screens)

I found a reference (I don't know how authoritative it is - take it with a grain of salt) that explains the codes on the windshields: http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings.htm
According to this, the DOT 20 windshields are made in Japan by ASAHI Glass Co. Ltd. and the ones with DOT 376 are made in the USA by AP Technoglass Corp.
The M number is simply the model number of the windshield and is unique only within the manufacturer. It does identify the type of construction, but you would need to have the individual manufacturers documentation to identify what's what.
The AS number identifies the optical quality of the glass. AS1 is the clearest.
My windshield also shows the manufactures logo (AP) which is consistent with the DOT number, and the brand name of the glass, "Lamisafe".

So, my guess would be that Camrys made in the USA will likely all be DOT376, and all the Camry Hybrids made there would have the same M834 number. All those made in Japan would likely be DOT20, with Hybrids showing M8K4 (nothwithstanding possible E or 3 instead of the 8 - I haven;t seen one myself). I do find the similarity in the M number between the Japanese-made and the USA-made intriguing.

Replacement windshields having a DOT20 or DOT376 number would be expected to also match on the M number. However, it is possible for replacements to have a different DOT number and still be equivalent glass - there's no reason that different manufacturers can't make windshields to the same specification. In those case, the M number would almost certainly be different. Just more food for thought.

--My hybrid came home!--
Ottawa owners check in here

Randy

Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM

Tags
ap, as1, asahi, car, corp, dot20, glass, kind, lamisafe, numbers, part, replaced, technoglass, vin, windshield