Let the Tire Inflation Light woes begin :(

Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member
Default Let the Tire Inflation Light Woes Begin. Need a Little Help! :(

Okay, I bought a nice set of Michelin Energy MXV4-S8 Tires a couple of months ago. Beautiful tires and I'm thrilled to own them. However...the inflation light indicator has turned on last week and will not go off. I bumped the tires to 40/42 psi. The door jamb says 32 all around but that is way too low for these Michelins. I tried resetting the tire pressure system by pushing the button in the glove compartment. This did not help. I also tried lowering the pressure to 38 but feel guility about the tire pressure being on the low side on these Michelins.

I went to the Toyota service department and the guy on duty said I'm screwed. The range for the Bridgestone was set between 28-35. What the heck answer was that? I ran the Bridgestone tires higher around 36 to 38. No light came on then.

He said that there is no way they can readjust the tire sensors for the new tires. What the heck?

Is this service guy giving me bull? No way is there any logic to this.

Has anyone else had a problem in resetting the tire warning light for the a different set of tires?

Frustrated to say the least.

As for the tires, perfect conditions. No leaks. Does anybody know if the Platinum Toyota warranty cover tire sensor failures? I'm thinking maybe it is a bad sensor? Any thoughts?

Last edited by bugs; 03-17-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Let the Tire Inflation Light woes begin :(

The sensors don't care what tires are on the car or at what pressure they are set to.

1) Inflate tires to whatever PSI you feel is right for you
2) Follow the instructions for resetting the TPMS

That is all.

The TPMS is supposed to light up the warning light when there is a change of pressure in the tires. A possibility is that whoever installed your new tires damaged one of the sensors...

Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

Yes. I did reset the inflation monitor system for the new tires. I tried a few times in fact but they don't reset for the new tires. Appreciate your advice and time.

As for damaging the tires when the new tires were put on...not likely since it has been about 2 months with no problems. Then bam...problem pops up. Excellents points though.

Last edited by bugs; 03-17-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

FWIW, I still run the original bridgestones, and I have them at 40/42, and reset my TPMS system just fine.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

bugs,

Mine was re-set to 41 psi right after I bought the car. We just followed the instructions in the manual for both cars and they seem to work fine. Have the dealer check the sensors (one might have gone bad) with a scanner. If all of them are OK, the ECU is not holding the re-set value and will need to be checked.

He is feeding you a line of BS that the range on the sensors can not be set for something other than 28 to 35 psi. The sensors nor computer cares what tire is on the car or the pressure you run them at. If the system will not re-set, have them fix it or find a dealer that will.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

Thanks. I will go back to the Toyota dealer and have them do a full check on the tire sensors. Also...in case I'm doing it wrong in the manual...I had the car turned off. I turn on the round button until the engine light is on...then I reach for the glove compartment button and hold it until the Tire sensor light begins a slow blinking (hold for 3 seconds)...then let go of the glove compartment button.
Result...the Tire system light blinks and then goes to solid yellow tire light.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Old Boomer Techie

One possibility, if the tire installer damaged a sensor and then replaced it, the ID# will not be correct in the TPMS memory. I do not think the inflation calibration procedure resets the ID numbers. This has to be done at the dealer or using a scanner.

...or, ...if it was done at a dealer, are you sure you got the same set of rims (and therefore the same set of sensors) back?

Last edited by FastMover; 03-26-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

They do make a meter just for working with the tire sensors. It can change a sensor to show on any location on the car. I think our TCH just shows a low tire but now which corner of the car. It can also test of any bad sensors by measuring their RF output.

My '07 TCH had 40 psi cold in them when I bought the car. I ran them at that and up to 42 psi at times. I have never had a sensor problem or low tire so far.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Old Boomer Techie

[quote=rburt07;200126]They do make a meter just for working with the tire sensors. It can change a sensor to show on any location on the car. I think our TCH just shows a low tire but now which corner of the car. quote]

Whoa, I don't have a navi on mine, but I thought the guys that did could set up a screen that monitored the active tire pressures on each corner full time like in the Lexus. No?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Sorry, I was talking about the single low tire indicator in the mfd. (!) I'm not sure, it may show the tire location in the mfd readout. I never had a low tire to activate it.

Last edited by rburt07; 03-28-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let the Tire Inflation Light woes begin :(

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands