Lurching while parked

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Lurching while parked

Hello everyone,

Over the past year of ownership I have noticed that sometimes right after a start but still in park the car lurches forward and backward a little. Is this normal?

It always bothers me as my last truck, when really cold and parked on ice, would break the rear wheels free even if I had my foot on the brakes as hard as possible....

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Fabulous in Green
Default Re: Lurching while parked

I actually felt that yesterday. It was a little bit disturbing, but I blamed it on the cold weather.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Yes, I would say it is normal. The ICE is always connected to the front wheels through the PSD (power split device.) When the ICE starts, there is a brief push (or lurch forward) as the ICE starts running while the electric motor (MG1) switches from providing power to being a generator. It is rather amazing to me how well Toyota manages the transition. If I have my foot on the brake, I never notice it.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM

nash, you're one smart dude!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:47 AM

Thanks Nash....it just troubles me because of the past experience with auto transmissions going nuts and slipping...it really is scary when you have your foot on the break and the wheels keep spinning uncontrollably....

Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast

Never happened here yet ... but does the car actually *move* when this happens? I'd like to know so I can make sure the car isn't parked too close to the front wall in the garage

Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Soprano
Never happened here yet ... but does the car actually *move* when this happens? I'd like to know so I can make sure the car isn't parked too close to the front wall in the garage
Mine does. It rocks. Probably a few inches. About as much as when using a automatic transmission's parking lock pin (or putting a standard transmission in gear) to keep you from moving instead of the parking brake.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 03-12-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast

That's a little scary. I'll have to tell the wife not pull up too close to ANYTHING when parking.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Soprano
That's a little scary. I'll have to tell the wife not pull up too close to ANYTHING when parking.
Bobby...(and Mikie) No insults intended, but I think you are over-reacting. I have experienced this once in 29,000 miles..it was a very minor feeling. As long as your foot is on the brake, which it must be when starting the car, I don't believe the car willl actually move an inch.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by jbollt
Bobby...(and Mikie) No insults intended, but I think you are over-reacting. I have experienced this once in 29,000 miles..it was a very minor feeling. As long as your foot is on the brake, which it must be when starting the car, I don't believe the car willl actually move an inch.
An inch is not all that far so the chance of hitting something is minor. It is merely a rocking sensation. You would have to be very close to something in order to hit. For me it has rocked into the curb before (I can feel the wheel hit). Again not a big deal.

I am not so worried about the inch movement as much as the fact that is just reminds me of the problems I had with my prior vehicle.

As far as frequency, I happens probably ever other time I start the car -- when the ICE turns on.

You might keep your foot on the brake longer than I. I keep it there to start the car and take it off. Almost 100% of the time the ICE does not turn on right away. While the car is starting, I am putting my seatbelt on, getting adjusted, and so on.

Quite honestly, I don't want my car moving unless I tell it to. But, that said, Nash's explanation makes perfect sense!

My worries will pass over time as I my mind learns this car is not the same as the last.

This is not overreacting, just bringing up bad memories: it isn't nice to have your vehicle fishtailing without you even putting your foot on the gas right after starting and trying with all your might to make the wheels stop spinning before you slide into something.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 03-12-2008 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Lurching while parked

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands