Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Major, major Bluetooth improvement

The day after I got my TCH, I traded in my excellent Sanyo non-Bluetooth phone for a Bluetooth-equipped Samsung A-900 "Blade." It worked as expected, but the sound quality for the LISTENER was horrible. People could barely understand what I was saying, although I would turn down the fan, roll up the windows, and speak directly into the microphone.

I thought this was all something I had to live with... until a new Bluetooth phone came out (Sanyo, YAY). The crappy-but-very-cool-looking-and-expensive Samsung had such a low battery life and a host of other lame problems that I returned it to Costco and bought the Sanyo instead.

VOILA!!! Now people can hear me normally, every time. No more shouting or repeating myself. No more complaints about faint and garbled speech.

For those of you who might have similar Bluetooth problems, don't assume that it's a Camry limitation that you have to live with. The problem just might be that not all Bluetooth phones are created equal.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Arrow Re: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I didn't think the Razor supported the battery level indicator via Bluetooth. I went with a Sony Ericsson (fully supported by Toyota) and it's really slick. Especially being able to transfer the entire phone directory in one operation.
After seeing smidtj's post in the thread "Are you considering the NAV," I decided to see if the new Sanyo phone would allow me to transfer my phone directory... it DID!!! The piece-of-@#$% Samsung would NOT let me transfer the phone directory. Sheesh! Thanks, smidtj, it took all of about 30 seconds to transfer my entire contacts directory with nearly 300 numbers. There was also the new option to transfer contacts individually, rather than as a group. Interestingly, if your contact in your Bluetooth phone has more than two numbers assigned, the Camry NAV will create multiple name entries to capture all the phone numbers, two at a time.

Here's a hint for anyone who wants to transfer a directory:

BEFORE you do the transfer, in your NAV system, create your USER GROUPS. The "00" default group is "No group," and this one can't be changed. For "01," I called it "Personal," and for "02," I called it "Business." Yours could be different. Then, still before you do your data transfer, select your group that has the most names ("Personal," in my case) and then you can transfer your contacts DIRECTLY into that group. Otherwise, they will default to "No group," and you will have to change them all manually, if you use the group feature. Once I had all my contacts in the "Personal" group, it was a quick process to select the business entries and edit the group name to "Business."

One final hint:

In case you're as dense as I am, notice that although the NAV keyboard default is uppper-case for manual entry, there is a screen button on the right side to create lower-case letters, for much easier reading. There are also diacritical marks (such as accent marks) for your friends named José and María. If you can do a data transfer, your upper-and lower-case entries will transfer as originally entered.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Thanks for the information on the bluetooth. I've just upgraded my wifes and my Verizon phones to the LGVX8300. It just so happened that our current contract was over so there was no way I was gonna have a non bluetooth phone.

With the information you supplied transferring the contact list was easy although I could only send 10 names at a time. I think this was a limit on the LG phone.

Perhaps somebody could create a spreadsheet and keep telephone type/model and Wireless Carrier info. For example, there was no way I was gonna purchase a Samsung A-900 after reading your post.

Thanks again for the helpful information.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Glad the hint was helpful, LongTimer. After I wrote the post, I realized that I could probably streamline the data transfer process even more. If you organize your phone contacts by group already, it should be possible to select any existing group and transfer it directly to a similarly-defined group in your Camry NAV. Still untested, but food for thought.

For your spreadsheet:
Two thumbs up = Sanyo
Two thumbs WAY down = Samsung

Old 08-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Ok glad you can transfer you directory.
Other things I have found out over the 2.5 years I've had bluetooth.
1) Not all phones support the battery level indicator on the bluetooth screen.
2) Not all phones will automatically reconnect after you transfer a call in progress to the phone (for privacy). Some you need to physically power off and power on. Some you (get this) need to turn the car off and on. Even Info-Telephone-Settings-Select Phone won't get it back. Grrrrr.

I use a Sony Ericsson and it supports all functions perfectly. The only downside is when in active Bluetooth mode the battery life is greately reduced. 12 hours will drain it even without making a single call. By "active" I mean connected to the car's bluetooth phone system not just idling with the phone Bluetooth radio on in "listen" mode.

Hope this helps.

J

Old 08-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

which sanyo phone did you get steve?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 PM

I got the new (released in July 2006) Sanyo Katana. It's not as feature-rich as the Samsung A-900 "Blade" or the Motorola Razr, but it does basics EXTREMELY well. The battery on my Samsung wouldn't even last from morning until night, even when I didn't use the phone. The Sanyo's reception range is about 50 percent farther than the Samsung's, and I haven't had a dropped call yet, in comparison to endless dropped calls with Samsung. So what if it doesn't have an MP3 player? At least I can carry on an audible and relaxed conversaton in the Camry with the Sanyo. I like the menus and programming better, too, but that's personal preference. Not sure which services have the Katana available... I use Sprint. However, EVERY Sanyo I've ever had has worked far better than ANY Samsung I've ever had. Good luck. By the way, Costco's return policy makes it simple to try a phone and return it if it doesn't work in your car or for any other reason.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information on the Sanyo Katana phone. I am also a Sprint and a Costco customer, and I am eligible for $150 rebate on a new phone. I looked at this phone in the store, but I didn't find any Sanyo phones on the list I had seen (Bluetooth phones on the Toyota site?). I will definitely take a closer look at this phone.
JoAnn
Overeager in MD
Happy owner of a base Jasper Pearl TCH

Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Does anyone have a link to Toyota's official list of supported bluetooth phones? I am using a moto v710 and sometimes my call quality is terrible.Anyone have real world experience with any of the smartphones, particularly the Motorola Q or the Treo 700?

Old 08-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ntguru
Does anyone have a link to Toyota's official list of supported bluetooth phones? I am using a moto v710 and sometimes my call quality is terrible.Anyone have real world experience with any of the smartphones, particularly the Motorola Q or the Treo 700?
My Sprint Treo 700p works fine with my TCH. However, if you have a bluetooth headset already, the Treo will not be able to associate with the car until you turn off your headset.

Quick Reply: Major, major Bluetooth improvement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands