NAV Users- Two Clocks to Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Wink NAV Users- Two Clocks to Fix

Reading the recent post regarding setting the clock reminded me that I wanted to remind NAV users that NAV cars have TWO clocks.

The first clock is the one on the dash that most people are aware of. This clock needs to be set manually by the H & M buttons on the dashboard.

Many of you may not be aware that the NAV system has its own clock.
The NAV clock does not have to be "set" per se, but it DOES need to be adjusted to handle Daylight Saving Time.

In other words, the NAV clock is always right, but the timezone it is in needs to be manually adjusted.

This might not be noticeable to many of you because the NAV system (as far as I know) only uses the time when it shows you your approximate arrival time.

To change the DST setting:

1. Hit MENU button
2. Press SETUP
3. Look for TIME ZONE
4. Hit CHANGE
5. At the bottom of the screen you can turn DST on or off.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: NAV Users- Two Clocks to Fix

Correct.
Lexus was smart enough to set the LED clock from the NAV's GPS clock and has an option in the NAV setup to adjust for DST automatically. Toyota could have done that easily on the Camry w/NAV but chose not to. So we have to set two clocks each time DST begins and ends.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would guess that the dates that DST starts and finishes is software rather than GPS determined? If this is the case the change of daylight saving time start and end dates which I believe comes into effect next year will mess up this feature for users of existing DVD's?? Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
I would guess that the dates that DST starts and finishes is software rather than GPS determined? If this is the case the change of daylight saving time start and end dates which I believe comes into effect next year will mess up this feature for users of existing DVD's?? Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
Since we have to manually adjust for DST, this is not an issue whatsoever.
You change the clock when you are ready. Nothing is automatic.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: NAV Users- Two Clocks to Fix

Thanks for this post, Hamm3r! I noticed this problem the day after the time change, but hadn't had a chance to post the question yet.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hehe. No problem.

I first noticed it on my 12 hour drive HOME from Myrtle Beach.
I looked at the approximate arrival time and thought "sweet!".

As I got closer and closer to NJ I couldn't understand how I'd be
home so soon. When I was an hour away and it said I'd be home in 5 minutes I made sure my seatbelt was fastened, put on a helmet, and told everyone to "HOLD ON!!! This oughtta be good!"

Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulgw
Today I used my Nav (6.1) for the first time since Daylight Savings Time began on Sunday. The software apparently doesn't know that the DST start/end dates have changed. My ETA was an hour too early...

I got out my owner's manuals to determine how to change the Nav clock. After about 15 minutes of looking through the manuals, I gave up and decided to do a forum search. I found this thread and see that the problem has been discussed previously. Looks like the Nav clock automatically sets itself and then uses the Nav software 'rules' to make the applicable time zone and DST adjustments.

As a work around, I guess this I could change my time zone from Eastern to Central for the next 3 weeks (or use the 5.1 Nav override to temporarily change the Nav clock)???

Looks like we'll have to wait for the 7.1 Nav software, for a fix.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by MickeysPal
Today I used my Nav (6.1) for the first time since Daylight Savings Time began on Sunday. The software apparently doesn't know that the DST start/end dates have changed. My ETA was an hour too early...

I got out my owner's manuals to determine how to change the Nav clock. After about 15 minutes of looking through the manuals, I gave up and decided to do a forum search. I found this thread and see that the problem has been discussed previously. Looks like the Nav clock automatically sets itself and then uses the Nav software 'rules' to make the applicable time zone and DST adjustments.

As a work around, I guess this I could change my time zone from Eastern to Central for the next 3 weeks (or use the 5.1 Nav override to temporarily change the Nav clock)???

Looks like we'll have to wait for the 7.1 Nav software, for a fix.
You NAV never set the DST flag automatically. You need to do it manually twice a year.
MENU->SETUP->TIMEZONE (I think) and in there is DST on or off. Pick one.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: NAV Users- Two Clocks to Fix

Originally Posted by schmidtj
You NAV never set the DST flag automatically. You need to do it manually twice a year.
MENU->SETUP->TIMEZONE (I think) and in there is DST on or off. Pick one.
Schmidtj, thanks for 'educating' me! Per your instructions, I just changed my DST flag and it corrected the problem.

I had just assumed that the Nav system automatically makes the adjustment for DST.

Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by MickeysPal
Schmidtj, thanks for 'educating' me! Per your instructions, I just changed my DST flag and it corrected the problem.

I had just assumed that the Nav system automatically makes the adjustment for DST.

Thanks again!
De nada. If you owned a Lexus your assumption would be correct.

Quick Reply: NAV Users- Two Clocks to Fix

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands