New 2012 TCH XLE

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default New 2012 TCH XLE

We bought one yesterday, fully loaded, for invoice, plus tax and license. We didn't really want one fully loaded; we wanted the leather seats and the moon roof, and the convenience package with the rear-view camera. But to get those features, we had to take the HDD NAV, blind-spot monitor, yada, yada, yada, because that's the way Toyota sells them. Theoretically, you could get an XLE with the features we wanted, and the least expensive display audio/NAV, minus the yada, yada, yada, but try to find one in N. California. Two dealers said there were only two within 200 miles of Silicon Valley. So we bought the whole enchilada.

The car had 30 miles on it when we drove it off the lot and 80-plus by the time we got home. MPG so far -- 39-plus city/42-plus highway. None too shabby.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2012 TCH XLE

Hi there

I am on the right coast, sort of, metro Atlanta with many hills and trees.

I love our 2012 THC. I have been letting many friends try it while I ride along and that has killed mileage down to 31 MPG for the tank at present.

I can get around forty when I drive it. One trip I hit 73 MPG!

What I do aside from what every one else does is to use the B position when ever I have to bleed off speed fast. That really pumps up the battery.

With a ful battery I try to keep it in EV as much as possible so I am gentle and slower than normal if no one is around.
I also use cruise control a lot with eco mode. I just let the onboard computer figure out what to do next and it is good at it for many roads.

I have your same configuration in Blizzard White (this is the old south -HOT).

My super favorite feature is the SKS and that isn't even hybrid specific.
I just love keeping the FOB in my pocket and never touching it do work with the car.

My favorite mind game is to tell a friend to open the door for me and he will say I forgot it is locked, we need the keys. I will walk closer to the car and in a loud voice speak to it as if it was listening. I tell the car my friend is OK that it is OK to open the door for him.

My friends look like I am crazy but it is priceless to see them try again and the door beeps and opens.

I have gotten a lot of mileage out of that SKS trick.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2012CamryHybrid
What I do aside from what every one else does is to use the B position when ever I have to bleed off speed fast. That really pumps up the battery.
What's the "B position"?
With a full battery I try to keep it in EV as much as possible so I am gentle and slower than normal if no one is around.
While driving surface streets yesterday, I notice the EV light coming on and often staying on for extended distances. I assumed it meant that the electric motor was powering the car.
I also use cruise control a lot with eco mode. I just let the onboard computer figure out what to do next and it is good at it for many roads.
Do you only use Eco mode on cruise control? I've had it on Eco since we got it (for 50 miles so far).
Our '07 RAV4 is Blizzard White. I didn't see that color offered with the TCH this year.
My super favorite feature is the SKS and that isn't even hybrid specific.
What is "SKS"?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

---Quote (Originally by 2012CamryHybrid)---
---End Quote---
What's the "B position"?

The last position on the transmission shifter. It forces electric motor 2 to turn into a generator and it slows the THC down as if you were using the foot brake. It recovers a lot of the energy that you waste normally using the foot brake. That energy you can use again to start off again without burning gas etc.

Does that answer your question?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

With a full battery I try to keep it in EV as much as possible so I am gentle and slower than normal if no one is around.
---End Quote---
While driving surface streets yesterday, I notice the EV light coming on and often staying on for extended distances. I assumed it meant that the electric motor was powering the car.

You are correct. Compare that to the split map that shows you how the car is being powered and the little display you can toggle in the dash with the bottom left button on the steering wheel.

Also the right display should show full green to 60 as it doesn't get any better in getting max mpg at that point since you are not burning gas.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

I also use cruise control a lot with eco mode. I just let the onboard computer figure out what to do *next and it is good at it for many roads.
---End Quote---
Do you only use Eco mode on cruise control? I've had it on Eco since we got it (for 50 miles so far).

--

Eco is a good choice unless you need maximum power and tire squealing starts. Yes just because we have a THC we are not wimps when pulling into fast traffic.

Just remember to turn Eco off before you floor it!

Also make sure there is enough power in the hybrid battery to assist you in blasting in front of that eighteen wheeler or you may become road kill.

Last edited by 2012CamryHybrid; 06-25-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

---End Quote---
Our '07 RAV4 is Blizzard White. I didn't see that color offered with the TCH this year.

--

Blizzard White is a high end COLOR choice and costs extra on all THC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrtCa...e_gdata_player

As far as I know it is the only extra cost paint option.

The reason it costs so much it is a three stage white that doesn't yellow with age.

Last edited by 2012CamryHybrid; 06-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

My super favorite feature is the SKS and *that isn't even hybrid specific.
---End Quote---
What is "SKS"?

--

SKS is Toyota speak for their SMART KEY SYSTEM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sVFe...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4xpc...e_gdata_player

Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aptos Driver
What's the "B position"?
This is not a well understood function. It is selected with the gear shift. One salesperson told me it was B for Battery. I believe it is really B for Brake, and is intended to be used on long steep downhills where you may shift down in a standard transmission or down in an automatic.

Since the TCH functions like a CVT and does not have discrete gears to select, what it does is change the timing of the engine to make it work more effectively as an engine brake. The engine intake manifold vacuum goes up and the engine pumps air back and forth. This generates heat in the engine and kills energy. It is taken away by your engine cooling system. The advantage of using it, is that your engine does the braking instead of the disk brakes. Disk brakes over a long steep hill can heat up and fade, as well as damage the brakes.

The disadvantage of using it is that it permanently wastes energy (engine heat). It is more fuel efficient to just use regenerative braking. You can do that by using the brakes just enough to regenerate to the battery but not engage the disk brakes. However once the battery is charged, that is no longer an option. Then it is better to switch to B mode to save your brakes.

Here is a link which goes into it in more detail:

Synergy Hybrid B Mode Explained

The simple way to think of it is that it turns the engine into a brake, and forces the engine rpm up to pump air. If you need that braking and have no place to save the energy (battery full), then use it and waste the energy. If you have battery room then it is better to just brake and charge your battery while saving the energy.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron AKA
The simple way to think of it is that it turns the engine into a brake, and forces the engine rpm up to pump air. If you need that braking and have no place to save the energy (battery full), then use it and waste the energy. If you have battery room then it is better to just brake and charge your battery while saving the energy.
I.E., it's analogous to downshifting on a grade, which I used to do all the time with a stick-shift car (up and down). I still drop my V6 RAV4 from "D" to "4" when I'm descending a long grade.

Quick Reply: New 2012 TCH XLE

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands