Order vs. delivery dates

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Order vs. delivery dates

I ordered a 2009 TCH with nav, leather, convenience pkg, sunroof, mats on June 2. I was told I would have a VIN and build date in about 2-3 weeks and delivery in 7-8 weeks. I was wondering what others that have recently ordered are being told. Is the 7-8 week estimate optimistic given the demand these days?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Order vs. delivery dates

Although you put in a custom order on June 2, the orders for the factories get preocessed on the 15th of each month. It will 'sit' in the 'stack' of orders until the 15th to be processed. I ordered mine on May 15th (spoke directly with liason that works for Toyota for such orders...I have a Family member who works for toyota...) and as of today, still have no VIN or any infor. I was told 3-4 months, (Employee ordering may be different than public since you pay a different price) so that puts mine mid to late august. You may get priority since they stand to make more money off of you than selling to me for below invoice on an 09

Last edited by mfsandli; 06-11-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

When I ordered mine (although some time ago), I got a partial VIN around 5 weeks. Full VIN was available around 7 weeks and I had the car at 8.5 weeks.

I have not read any articles that indicate Toyota is having a hard time keeping up with demand. The problem with cars are that a dealership will only order so many and that creates a restriction on supply if the demand increase unexpectedly. With Toyota making these in the US and Japan, I am sure they can pump them out.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I have not read any articles that indicate Toyota is having a hard time keeping up with demand. The problem with cars are that a dealership will only order so many and that creates a restriction on supply if the demand increase unexpectedly. With Toyota making these in the US and Japan, I am sure they can pump them out.
http://www.boston.com/cars/news/arti...tpaces_supply/

When I got mine 2 years ago (anniversary is next week!) all I did was call every dealer around the area looking for a TCH (my car was already dead and didn't want to have to keep renting for a prolonged period), and after calling dealer after dealer and hearing 3-4 months, 6-8 weeks, and so on, finally found a dealer who said they had one that was supposed to be arriving sometime in the next week or so, another the week after that, and another the week after that, and the first one coming in was almost exactly what I wanted (hadn't been looking for a moonroof but I do enjoy it, no doubt. ). That Saturday the phone rang, they said it was just coming off the truck, and so I popped down, took it for a drive, and left with it. This was when there were very few around still, they were all coming from Japan, and clearly they were hard to come by. I had to put a deposit down just to have a chance to test drive. Love the car 2 years later, though sad it can't stay pristine... hehe.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

I ordered my tch on May 5.I put $ 2000 cash plus $16500 trade of my suv.I still waiting. no vin #. no date. Just a long waiting.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mateo777
I ordered my tch on May 5.I put $ 2000 cash plus $16500 trade of my suv.I still waiting. no vin #. no date. Just a long waiting.
That does not surprise me. I have been through two car orders. I never had the VIN within four weeks. The other order I got the VIN around 8 weeks.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 AM

I wonder if that affects the Camry at all? The target of the article was the Prius.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

Just out of curiosity, why is it important to have the VIN number ASAP. Insurance??

Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

To me getting a vin # is like putting your name on the car before it arrives. Can't think of any other reason.

Also ordered beggining of May and waiting.....

Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

To me the VIN helps by:
  • Acting as tracking number like a package being shipped so you can reference that particular car when inquiring.
  • You know the dealer actually has a car with "your name on it".
  • You can get loan work started with a VIN and possible lock in a good interest rate.
Probably others...