P0A80-- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: P0A80-- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

If it is swinging a lot, I would agree with the Smart unit needing to be replaced. The good thing is that it should be covered under warranty. Your dealer is correct in that a battery issue in a Camry is a rare bird as I can only remember one or maybe two being reported on the web.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

News......Toyota called today and it is a bad traction battery. Good news for me as I have only four months left on the 8yr/100K warranty. They did confirm, this will only be TCH battery number two they have replaced. Pretty amazing as they are a large volume dealer in a large metro area. It's going to take week to get it shipped in, oh well, it's free ! We were just getting ready to trade or sell when this happened. We will probably get another hybrid.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Well, bad news that it went out but great news that it will be covered under warranty. Will your next car be a Toyota as well? Same platform or a different one?

Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Well, bad news that it went out but great news that it will be covered under warranty. Will your next car be a Toyota as well? Same platform or a different one?

Not sure yet GeorgiaHybrid, she has been looking at the THC and the FFH. Her last six have been toyota going back to a 1980 Tercel. I was actually a proud teenager of a 1972 Celica, back in the day. I still have the 72 Celica window sticker, $2,800.00. Her six Toyota's, for the most part have been maintenance only, no surprises. For me that's reason enough to stick with Toyota.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

My wife talked me into buying her a 2013 Ford Explorer this past year. She is now wishing she had another Pilot instead..... All of our daily drivers are Toyota's or Honda's except for the bigger trucks. They haven't figured out how to build a pickup to match my F-350 Diesel Dually.....

Old 04-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rws524
News......Toyota called today and it is a bad traction battery. Good news for me as I have only four months left on the 8yr/100K warranty. They did confirm, this will only be TCH battery number two they have replaced. Pretty amazing as they are a large volume dealer in a large metro area. It's going to take week to get it shipped in, oh well, it's free ! We were just getting ready to trade or sell when this happened. We will probably get another hybrid.
It seems to me you've lucked into the best of all possible worlds: You have a 100k/8yr car which is easily good for another 100k, and you'll have a brand new traction battery. The only other cloud on the horizon might be the brake actuator unit, if your car is old enough to have one of the original designs. But, heck, I'd give some serious consideration to keeping the car now that you have a new battery.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:04 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

I can't believe I still read warnings not to let a Toyota hybrid sit undriven for more than a few days at a time. If done, don't be surprised if your car won't start, goes the warning.

First, it's incredible to me to think Toyota would manufacture such a car. Some significant percentage of owners, for lots of reasons, drive infrequently. If this was a serious problem, it would be classified as a defect, one far worse than the frenzy over floor mats.

I travel frequently, for periods of a month and more, and in 7 years of owning my Camry hybrid I've never had a bit of trouble restarting the car. It's acted just like I expected and just like any normal car. I know other people with various Toyota hybrids, in California about every third car is a Prius, and none have reported having a problem like this.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lzc
I can't believe I still read warnings not to let a Toyota hybrid sit undriven for more than a few days at a time. If done, don't be surprised if your car won't start, goes the warning.

First, it's incredible to me to think Toyota would manufacture such a car. Some significant percentage of owners, for lots of reasons, drive infrequently. If this was a serious problem, it would be classified as a defect, one far worse than the frenzy over floor mats.

I travel frequently, for periods of a month and more, and in 7 years of owning my Camry hybrid I've never had a bit of trouble restarting the car. It's acted just like I expected and just like any normal car. I know other people with various Toyota hybrids, in California about every third car is a Prius, and none have reported having a problem like this.
I think the only extra issue with the hybrid is that the computer system stays powered up to monitor the traction battery, and other parts of the car. There is also the Smart Key that is not so smart unless you go to the trouble of turning it off. It keeps looking for someone to walk by with the right Key in their pocket. Net result is that there is a bit of draw on the 12 volt battery even when the car appears to be totally shut down. Older vehicles may only run the clock. And, because the 12 volt battery is not designed to start the car, and keep space for the trunk at a maximum, it is not the largest. Together this means at some point the battery does go down. As long as the battery is good, I suspect that is a couple of months not days or weeks.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast
Question Re: P0A80-- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

I am new to this forum. I just found out that I need a new battery pack. It will cost 5,600 total. Does anyone have any alternatives to this bottom line? I am a teacher married to someone who knows nothing about cars, except how to put gas in them. I would love any suggestions. The man at the dealers said that I can get one for half price but they don't really work.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysj
I am new to this forum. I just found out that I need a new battery pack. It will cost 5,600 total. Does anyone have any alternatives to this bottom line? I am a teacher married to someone who knows nothing about cars, except how to put gas in them. I would love any suggestions. The man at the dealers said that I can get one for half price but they don't really work.
I'm scared of that dealership, been with those.

So he's saying that these companies are not worth it?
http://greentechybrids.com/hybrid-batteries/toyota

Quick Reply: P0A80-- Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands