Paint and leather protection - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Paint and leather protection - worth it?

Just wondering how many of you got the dealership to put on the paint protection and interior protection? How much did it cost? How do you justify the cost?

I've heard mix reviews of the paint and interior protection - some say it's just an overpriced wax job and that it's a rip-off. But at what price would it not be a rip-off?

Does anybody know exactly know how good or bad it is? Anyone with experience with MING protection (I think that's what my dealership uses). Does it really protect the paint better than a typical wax application? Does the interior protection on the leather and plastic really protect?

Old 10-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Paint and leather protection - worth it?

Originally Posted by leepark
But at what price would it not be a rip-off?
Free....I have had dealers tell me that "we can't remove it, cause it's already on the car" before the cars is even prepped for delivery! I further negotiated, and they "left it on the car" and charged me nothing. At that price, it is not a rip off. IMHO It is realy only an insurance policy designed to fill the pockets of the dealer.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

See my post regarding extended warranty. I treated these the same way, as insurance. Basically, if anything happened, I didn't have to worry about it for a fairly small fee up front (I think I paid $400 for both).

Now, I have no idea what the 'base' fabric protection is, but I spilled half a bottle of Pepsi on the passenger seat and it beaded off to the floor, no stain. I'm already ahead in my mind.

I also purchased the Diamond Fusion windshield product, just for the 5 year windshield chip warranty.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I bought the interior protection plan for $499 thru dealer, but I do not believe this is a Toyota plan. It's called Prestige Coatings. If I stain any of the interior and can't remove the stain, Prestige will send someone out to try and remove it. If they can't remove it, then they will pay for the replacement of the fabric. I'm about to have a baby, and to me $500 was well worth this type of "insurance" considering what kind of messes the baby will probably create.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have the same plan (different name). I don't think mine is Toyota either.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Re. the interior / leather protection -
Does the leather feel any different after the treatment?

Re. paint protection -
Anybody have any experience with MING?

Old 10-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

I never heard of, and was not offered, a "leather protection" program or policy. I did ask the service folks at my selling dealer what they would recommend to keep the leather from wearing prematurely.

The service guys suggested using a good leather cleaner and protectant to keep the leather clean and supple. They especially recommended regular use on the driver seat with special attention to the outboard bolster of the seat cushion. This area takes the most punishment when the driver gets in and out of the car.

I am now using Lexol cleaner and protectant on the drivers seat after every wash of the car, and on the balance of the seats once a month or so (I usually drive alone, so the driver's seat gets high relative wear).

Hope this helps.