Possible Causes of TCH Unintended Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Possible Causes of TCH Unintended Acceleration

In another thread, I posed the question a question regarding possible causes of TCH UA, looking for any real info on any possible problems other than floor mats.

After 2 weeks there were no replies. I am now posing the question in it's own thread in hopes of getting the attention of more readers.

Note that the following question is specific to the Camry Hybrid:

"Does anyone know of ANY reports of unintended acceleration (UA)- specifically on the Camry Hybrid - attributed to any cause other than the floor mats ?"

Old 02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Default Re: Possible Causes of TCH Unintended Acceleration

I'm not aware of any.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

If there haven't been any reports so far, there almost certainly will be. The publicity is generating new complaints to NHTSA and it's hard to believe that a TCH or two won't be included at some point before this fiasco dies down.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by lzc
If there haven't been any reports so far, there almost certainly will be. The publicity is generating new complaints to NHTSA and it's hard to believe that a TCH or two won't be included at some point before this fiasco dies down.
Taking this as a "no" (albeit with an open mind to the possibility that current publicity may generate some such reports), we are now at

122 views (here, alone), 2 weeks (in other thread) and two days (here)....and counting !

With zero positive replies and two negative out of 122+ views.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just guessing, this forum has about 20-30 active members and another 30-40 infrequent visitors or lurkers. You're not likely to find someone here who had UA. Not because it doesn't happen, but rather, it's such a rare occurrence that the likelihood that it happened to more than one member in such a small population is extremely remote.
You're better off searching Google to find reports (yeah, I know, there are 100 million hits if you search "Toyota UA")

Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Just guessing, this forum has about 20-30 active members and another 30-40 infrequent visitors or lurkers. You're not likely to find someone here who had UA. Not because it doesn't happen, but rather, it's such a rare occurrence that the likelihood that it happened to more than one member in such a small population is extremely remote.
You're better off searching Google to find reports (yeah, I know, there are 100 million hits if you search "Toyota UA")
On the contrary, we have had 2 or 3 reports of floor mat induced UA out of the 20 or 30 of us. That's 10 %. - a significantly high incidence in my view.

And this group seems to be highly active and informed.

In my opinion, a complete absence of any knowledge at all of any reports of other-caused TCH UA within this group is a pretty good indication that there simply are not any such, particularly in view of the likelihood (as expressed by lzc, above), that the current publicity will be bringing out such reports.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 02-17-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was only aware of your situation...my error.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Default The Conclusion Re: Possible Causes of TCH UA

After three weeks and hundreds of views and with absolutely no positive replies to the question,

"Does anyone know of ANY reports of unintended acceleration (UA)- specifically on the Camry Hybrid - attributed to any cause other than the floor mats ?"

I am ready to conclude that, at least as far as anyone here knows, there simply have been NO reported incidents of Toyota Camry Hybrid unintended acceleration except for the cases attributable to the floor mat entrapment.

So, I consider Toyota's restriction of the TCH UA recall to to remedies for that cause only to be entirely proper.

If only they had taken this measure (as well as the separate measures for the other cars) years ago when the problems first arose, they could have saved themselves a whole lot of grief and expense - and probably saved a some lives as well.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

As far as I can tell, the cause of UA in any Toyota is largely unknown. NHTSA has connected a few (5, I believe) accidents to floor mat problems, zero have been attributed to sticky accelerators, leaving the cause of all other accidents unknown.

Driver error? Gremlins in the software? There's a lot of territory here for speculation, even publicity-seeking accusations.

Toyota is in full prostrate mode, offering up its best imitation of Tiger Woods.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by lzc
As far as I can tell, the cause of UA in any Toyota is largely unknown. NHTSA has connected a few (5, I believe) accidents to floor mat problems, zero have been attributed to sticky accelerators, leaving the cause of all other accidents unknown.

Driver error? Gremlins in the software? There's a lot of territory here for speculation, even publicity-seeking accusations.

Toyota is in full prostrate mode, offering up its best imitation of Tiger Woods.
Note: The question in this thread is specific to the Camry Hybrid and specific to actual known cases.

And the answer, apparently, is that there are zero cases attributable to anything other than the floor mats.

Quick Reply: Possible Causes of TCH Unintended Acceleration

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands