A question on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default A question on suspension

Some folks say: "say when it rains it pours".

I really wanted to deal with this issue after I got the other two, more pressing matters addressed. But since I'm going to be putting the car up in the air and pulling the brakes apart anyway I'd like to try and get at both issues...

There is a 'clunk' that occurs in the front end when I turn left or right into driveways. It is especially bad when going over drive aprons that are sloped for drainage which is the case throughout the southwestern US.

It ~sounds~ like a strut knock as if the rod is bottoming out, or a loose bearing plate. It could also be sway bar bushings, end links or ball joints too for that matter. I'm just not familiar enough with the Camry to discern the noise more precisely.

Has anyone else encountered this problem yet? Obviously it is a distant third priority for me, right behind the two, well-documented safety issues I'm dealing with. But since I'm pulling the front end apart anyway this week, and since I am now administering my own extended warranty, I'd like to address both issues at once.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: A question on suspension

Check your CV joints.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am also having the same clunking noise in the left side of the vehicle, I hear the noise when going oven uneven surfaces and at slow speeds. I took it to the dealer and got the usual response "normal noise for this vehicle"

I hear the noise on the left side only, I did take apart the sway bar completely and was unable to locate the noise, I also found a plastic cover in the front of the engine that was noisy and stopped this noise but I still have the clunking noise.

Tim

Old 09-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
Check your CV joints.
I know that noise... it's more of a tunk-tunk-tunk as you pull away from a stop and enter a turn. That isn't it. This is definitely isolated to multi-axis rotation the suspension encounters when turning over a slope in the pavement.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by tharvey
I am also having the same clunking noise in the left side of the vehicle, I hear the noise when going oven uneven surfaces and at slow speeds. I took it to the dealer and got the usual response "normal noise for this vehicle"

I hear the noise on the left side only, I did take apart the sway bar completely and was unable to locate the noise, I also found a plastic cover in the front of the engine that was noisy and stopped this noise but I still have the clunking noise.

Tim
"normal noise for this vehicle" OMG! These guys just get skeezier by the year. I used to know this one SA at Volvo who would very calmly explain to folks that their prematurely blown struts "were due to the construction and materials used in California roads". And these rich housewives from the Hollywood Hills would just nod and say "Ohhhhh OK"! As they whip out the platinum card. You should have heard them laughing in the back detail area on break.

I must have been a delusional idiot to think anything has changed or that my dealer was somehow special.

Thank you for the details of your experience. I've had two Toyota's in the past, a Corolla and an Avalon. BOTH had really crappy struts and tower plates. That might just be where I end up with this.

This will be after my brake job. Those parts are on the brown truck for delivery today.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

How did you make out with the clunk?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ed_T
How did you make out with the clunk?
Well, I had exactly 90 minutes from end of work until dark to get the brakes done and that job was more hassle than I counted on. So I really only eye-balled the suspension, looking for anything obvious or loose.

I found nothing obvious, so I finished the brake job and buttoned up the car. With the brakes now straight, the clunk noise is definitely more pronounced on the right. I'll schedule some time later on to go back in and re-torque everything and go from there. I just get the distinct impression that new struts are in my future.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
I know that noise... it's more of a tunk-tunk-tunk as you pull away from a stop and enter a turn. That isn't it. This is definitely isolated to multi-axis rotation the suspension encounters when turning over a slope in the pavement.
any idea of what it might be it is rather annoying and I am back to the dealer then to toyota canada. Apparently when I purchased his vehicle I was informed that White Rock Toyota was a dealer sought by people looking to get well serviced vehicles, can't really say they service anything and just tell me everything is normal, now grinding noise coming from sunroof when putting it into up position.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

My camry hybrid is making the same noise, anyone got an update on this? The dealer told me it needs to be greased and is a very expensive job to have done

Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Professor Emeritus

All of you guys need to read up on the Intermediate Steering Shaft Clunk. I had the "EXACT" same issue and I was certain it was a strut related issue, sway bar end links, etc...

After much frustration and a local dealer giving me the run around. I got some help and sure enough. It was the Intermediate Steering Shaft.

I'm not kidding. The noise was so bad that I thought a strut tower bearing or part of the suspension was falling out of the car! NOT the case.

I fixed it in 10 minutes from inside the car. I simply removed the top portion of the shaft, cycled the shaft up and down a few times to re-distribute the grease and re-installed. Problem solved... And I have to say that I was shocked that a clunk that was so loud could be resolved by such a simple procedure.

There is also a TSB grease kit you can get from Toyota to help resolve the issue. But, it requires removing the entire shaft and injecting grease into the shaft. I would just try cycling it first. It is fast, easy, free and it works. I'm not kidding, try this before you going throwing money at the suspension.

Quick Reply: A question on suspension

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands