Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Enthusiast
Angry Radio Problem

I have a non-nav TCH. Just a couple of days after taking delivery, I started having weird problems with my radio. On really cold mornings without even turning the radio on I will hear loud pops and static coming out of the speakers. This will continue until the car warms up a bit. If I turn the radio on, there is no sound. All I will here is the same popping and static. As the car warms up I will start to hear music but the volume will fade in and out. This problem seems to be totally affected by the temperature outside. Today it is in the 70's outside and the radio is almost working perfectly. I only have minor fading in and out of the volume. The dealer has already tried replacing the radio and the symptoms did not change. Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any idea what the problem could be? The dealer is clueless.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Radio Problem

This sounds very much like a cracked pin or wire between the head unit and the amp. The problem is proving it.

In the cold, when you warmed up the car and got to where it was over 60 degrees for 20 or 30 minutes, did the problem clear up? If my theory holds water, then as the components and cables warm back up, the damaged pin would expand and make better contact.

Anyway, just my $0.02

Larry

Old 03-14-2007, 08:54 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

powerman — It sounds to me more likely that the problem is with the DSP (Digital Signal Processing) / power-amplifier unit that sits on the floor under the passenger's seat. It is responsible for controlling the volume, tone, muting, etc., and for amplifying the signals for each the eight loudspeakers (it contains eight channels of power amplification). It receives its audio and control signals from the radio unit. I suggest that you have the dealer try plugging and unplugging the three connectors at the amplifier, and making sure that the grounding bolts are tight. If this doesn't cure the problem, maybe the DSP/amplifier unit is defective.

Stan

Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

powerman — You may find the attached Repair Manual pages (AV-139to142.pdf) useful. They show how to remove the amplifier. There's no need to remove the passenger's seat, though. If you move the seat fully forwards, you can get at the amplifier without too much difficulty. By the way, the two clips that hold the amplifier cover on, come off by pulling straight up.

Stan

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AV-139to142.pdf (379.8 KB, 44 views)