Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

beng - I've got a rattle in the drivers side B pillar that is driving me nuts. Its most noticeable when driving on rough roads with heavy bass playing. When not moving it is less prominent, but is still definitely there.

Your mention with the heavy bass playing. I'm wondering if the speaker in that door might be the culprit. Could be something located near the speaker inside the door. At least with a CD with bass they might be able to recreate the sound so they can find it.

Last edited by rburt07; 02-05-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

played with it some more today and noticed that if I lower the window just a tad the noise goes away. Time to call the dealer again

Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 AM

I have about 27,000 miles on my TCH, and with the recent cold, (relative cold, night-times down to 26 or so..days in the upper 40's) I am noticing a few of the dash "noises." Mostly the clack mentioned in this thread.

Does anyone know if the warranty covers these things after the first year/12,000 miles? I seem to remember being told that these type of issues, adjustments, rattles etc, were only covered for 1 year 12,000 miles. Anyone have any experience with the dealer agreeing to fix or declining to fix under warranty beyond 1 year 12,000 miles??

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've had about every squeak and rattle ever mentioned in this forum. I had the awful (cold weather only) shifter cover squeak (crickets) and fixed that myself by taking it apart and applying felt tape. I have the odd noise right near the driver side seatbelt/roof pillar (It almost sounds like a spring rattle). I have the "clack" noise under the windshield (cold weather only). Heavy base makes a rattle noise. Rough roads cause a rattle in the battery vent at the rear. It's been mentioned that the majority of these noises in cold weather are caused by panels temporarily shrinking from the cold , making them a little loose. For me, all the rattles only occur in cold weather except for the battery vent and driver side seatbelt/roof pillar.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:41 PM

Two strange rattles I found. One was where the drivers side sunvisior connects to the roof. I moved something in that joint that made the noise stop.

The other was the plastic handle just above the drivers door. I pulled it down a few times then that noise stopped.

I will have to see if the inside the center of the dash sound starts back again. It's warmed up some in our area and it may not come back till it gets colder in a few days.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've had some noises in my dash since my last dealer visit. The only thing they did inside the car was change the cabin air filter, so I'm not sure they caused the noises. In any event, the clacks are most pronounced when driving over broken pavement and in colder weather. Most disappointing is that I've never owned a car with this many clacking noises in the dash, not even my 6 year old Altima with 125,000 miles!

I'm just wondering if anybody has had success getting the dealer to work on this problem. Anybody have any stories to relate, good or bad? Thanks.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 AM
SPL

bmgoodman — The dash rattle (more of a clicking noise to my ears) has been reported on before in this forum, and a solution was found (I don't recall who it was, but do a search). The solution was to insert a strip of foam rubber into the narrow slot between the windshield and the dash in the areas between the tweeter grilles. I have also experienced this noise myself when the weather is cold (but not too cold!). At the moment I have experimentally inserted some pieces of corrugated cardboard into this slot, and found that they do completely eliminate the noise. I'll be replacing the cardboard with foam rubber when the weather gets warmer.

Stan

Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
bmgoodman — The dash rattle (more of a clicking noise to my ears) has been reported on before in this forum, and a solution was found (I don't recall who it was, but do a search). The solution was to insert a strip of foam rubber into the narrow slot between the windshield and the dash in the areas between the tweeter grilles. I have also experienced this noise myself when the weather is cold (but not too cold!). At the moment I have experimentally inserted some pieces of corrugated cardboard into this slot, and found that they do completely eliminate the noise. I'll be replacing the cardboard with foam rubber when the weather gets warmer.

Stan
Stan I just noticed this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents. I too have this Clack / Clicking noise and my dealer told me this is caused by the metal clips used at the base of the windshield under the dash. There is a TSB he showed me that involves removing the entire dash to replace the original (all metal) clips with ones coated with rubber or something. He also stated he has done more than 5o cars as this applies to all Camry 2007 versions not just the TCH. At this point I may try your solution as the thought of having my entire dash removed and replaced gives me pause for thought. Anyway hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:28 PM
SPL

Ookpik — Yes, TSB2790 (I have posted it before in this forum) requires the whole dash to be dismantled, something I didn't want to have done unless absolutely necessary! Hence the desire to find an effective do-it-yourself solution.

Stan

Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ookpik
Stan I just noticed this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents. I too have this Clack / Clicking noise and my dealer told me this is caused by the metal clips used at the base of the windshield under the dash. There is a TSB he showed me that involves removing the entire dash to replace the original (all metal) clips with ones coated with rubber or something. He also stated he has done more than 5o cars as this applies to all Camry 2007 versions not just the TCH. At this point I may try your solution as the thought of having my entire dash removed and replaced gives me pause for thought. Anyway hope this helps.
This rattle just showed up at 10,200 miles on the odo. Whenever I've had major things like this done in the past, I go in later and find things like stripped screw retainer clips and broken plastic fasteners, so I'm really hesitant to have my dealer pull the whole dash out. I think I'll start by trying the DIY method with foam or cardboard crammed into the gap as suggested in the other thread.

Quick Reply: Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands