Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattles: Please report (with solutions if you have them!)

Originally Posted by SPL
Ookpik — Yes, TSB2790 (I have posted it before in this forum) requires the whole dash to be dismantled, something I didn't want to have done unless absolutely necessary! Hence the desire to find an effective do-it-yourself solution.

Stan
As an FYI. I was having the dash rattle issue on my 2009 TCH. I took it into the dealer today and they completed a TSB and it has resolved the issue (at least at this point). It apparently involved adding longer windshield pins at the top and bottom. The fix took about an hour and seems less extreme than the TSB2790 that was issued on the 2007's. I did a lot of searching when I first encountered the issue but I was not able to find anything on the 2009 Camry's (only TSB2790 and NV008-07 for the 2007's). Anyway, the TSB listed on my invoice was:

NV5019 (Plus B T1-91 T2-41)

I am pleased so far.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09TCH_DesertSand
As an FYI. I was having the dash rattle issue on my 2009 TCH. I took it into the dealer today and they completed a TSB and it has resolved the issue (at least at this point). It apparently involved adding longer windshield pins at the top and bottom. The fix took about an hour and seems less extreme than the TSB2790 that was issued on the 2007's. I did a lot of searching when I first encountered the issue but I was not able to find anything on the 2009 Camry's (only TSB2790 and NV008-07 for the 2007's). Anyway, the TSB listed on my invoice was:

NV5019 (Plus B T1-91 T2-41)

I am pleased so far.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting this info!

Old 11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast

Our 07 has a rattle from the rear deck area near passenger side speaker, that only is heard on rough roads at any speed. So far no been able to fix.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have an 07 TCH that I purchased new, and after a couple of thousand miles started having the windshield thwack -- that was especially noticeable when going over expansion joints on otherwise smooth concrete roads.

I went to Menards and bought some grey foam weatherstripping that is approximately 1" x 1", and inserted it in the gap between the grey dash and the windshield. I used a paint stirring stick to push it down in there.

You can't see the material in there unless you look closely, and it has permanently solved the problem

I don't recommend having the dealer fix the problem by disassembling the dash.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Can you verify that it doesn't interfere too much with the airflow towards the windshield?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, I can confirm it does NOT present any such problem, which I know somebody else posted a concern about somewhere on this site.

I can't speak for other model years, but on my 07 the defrost air does not come from the small gap between the dashpad and the windshield (it's very small). If you turn on your defrost you can confirm where the air is venting from. So, it does not interfere in any way with the air circulation, or the XM radio, etc.

I think the problem is just that the tolerances are too close, and you need something there as a cushion.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
I have an 07 TCH that I purchased new, and after a couple of thousand miles started having the windshield thwack -- that was especially noticeable when going over expansion joints on otherwise smooth concrete roads.

I went to Menards and bought some grey foam weatherstripping that is approximately 1" x 1", and inserted it in the gap between the grey dash and the windshield. I used a paint stirring stick to push it down in there.

You can't see the material in there unless you look closely, and it has permanently solved the problem

I don't recommend having the dealer fix the problem by disassembling the dash.
Hey leaky, did you get weatherstripping with no adhesive? Or with?

Cold weather has arrived again, and the windshield is squeaking again on bumpy Michigan roads.

I previously tried sticking some self adhesive felt to the inside of the windshield, but it didn't help. I am ready to go to the next level!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Spiff, the weatherstripping I got was very basic with no backing or adhesive. It basically was like a 4' long piece of square grey foam rubber. I can't remember the exact dimensions but it came rolled up and was maybe 1" x 1". It compressed nicely into the gap between the dash and the windshield when I worked it in with the paint stirring stick. I used the whole piece and it covered probably 80% of the gap with maybe 2-3" short on each side.

The nice thing is that the grey color makes it very difficult to see as it blends with the grey dash. Total installation time probably was 15 minutes.