Rear Wind Defroster Very Unimpressive

Old 09-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Rear Wind Defroster Very Unimpressive

Ok, so one of the few complaints I have with my TCH is that the rear window defroster stinks.

I don't know if there's a problem with mine, or if its everyone's. Today, it was fogged up wtih mist--just normal fall morning stuff. I took a solid 12 minutes for the window to clear. For most of that time, I couldn't see a thing.

Now, I'm coming from a bunch of GM vehicles. Most of them had a lot of problems, but the rear window defrosters are great. They have a zone system that clears a middle portion first (in under a minute easily) so you can see something out back there, and in 5 minutes everything is pretty much gone. Even winter frost cleared quickly. This kind of frost today would have taken probably 2 minutes, max, for the whole rear window.

So this TCH performance is disappointing and rather annoying.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Rear Wind Defroster Very Unimpressive

No practical experience with the TCH as mine is still not delivered - but I had to comment on the post..

I'm not so sure that there is truly a Zoned system (I have vehicles from GM, Chrysler and Ford - currently) .... I think it's more a matter of the resistive film acting like any other resistor in which the resistance is always highest at the mid-point (center) between the two conductors... All of my vehicles clear the center of the glass first.

Electrical engineeers - please feel free to tear it up - it's only my theory..

On the TCH system - I know from what I've ready - all electrical systems are very tightly controlled (as they should be) so as to draw minimal current from the system. Where's the high powered fog lights on the TCH? It may be that this miserly controll methodology has impacted the rear window defroster.. I'm really curious how well the heated seats and mirrors work gievn that I'm in Minneapolis, MN.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My '99 VW Passat had the slowest rear window defroster of any car I've ever owned or can recall being in, so my bias will be apparent. I've used the TCH rear window defrosters on several mornings so far and I think it did quite well--just a few minutes. I'm just outside DC, so maybe the dew isn't as dense as in some places.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Rear Wind Defroster Very Unimpressive

Originally Posted by MFLetou
Ok, so one of the few complaints I have with my TCH is that the rear window defroster stinks.

I don't know if there's a problem with mine, or if its everyone's. Today, it was fogged up wtih mist--just normal fall morning stuff. I took a solid 12 minutes for the window to clear. For most of that time, I couldn't see a thing.

Now, I'm coming from a bunch of GM vehicles. Most of them had a lot of problems, but the rear window defrosters are great. They have a zone system that clears a middle portion first (in under a minute easily) so you can see something out back there, and in 5 minutes everything is pretty much gone. Even winter frost cleared quickly. This kind of frost today would have taken probably 2 minutes, max, for the whole rear window.

So this TCH performance is disappointing and rather annoying.
Matt, Look and see if you have the ECO switch activated, if so deactivate it and it may send more current to the defogger. SK

Old 09-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have the opposite experince. My rear-window defogger works very quickly, as did the front window defogger. I live/work in a coastal environment, so I have lots of foggy windows due to the humidity. The TCH has been a lot better than my 99CaddySTS or 97Paseo were.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by MFLetou
I agree. Both my '07 XLE-V6 and '07 TCH are very poor in clearing the read window of fog. Haven't had the TCH in frost yet but the XLE has had light frost a few times and it took a LONG time to clear it. 10 minutes plus.
The XLE has no ECO mode so I think it's "just the nature of the beasts".
The XLE did a good job of clearing the side-view mirrors of the frost.
J

Old 09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting.

No ECO for me (I never use it). BMgoodman, I'm in Ashburn VA and drive to DC today. I started the defog in my driveway, and it wasn't clear until past the Dulles GreeDway interchange...

Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

"it wasn't clear until past the Dulles GreeDway interchange..."

Matt, you have my vote for the best misspelling of the year! I KNEW the the Beltway was fully of greedy b**tards!!!

Old 09-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's going to be a while before I have a chance to test this, here in Austin, TX. :-)

Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wallpad
It's going to be a while before I have a chance to test this, here in Austin, TX. :-)
I doubt if i will EVER use it here in Tucson, AZ.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Wind Defroster Very Unimpressive

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands