Recommended Toyota service in San Diego?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast
Default Recommended Toyota service in San Diego?

Can anyone recommend dealer service in the San Diego area? I just took my TCH in for the 5,000mi service to Mossy Toyota and was underwhelmed to say the least. I asked for the 5,000mi service, and for them to look at a brake squeak and a dash rattle. They had the car for 2 full days and only did the oil change!

The 5,000mi service seemed fine, but I have the brake squeak in reverse and even brough a print out of the TSB clearly showing based on my VIN that it was applicable to my TCH. Somehow they decided the brake squeak must be coming from the rear brakes, so they "greased rear caliper" according to the service invoice. Um, guess what, it still has the brake squeak in reverse, as it's coming from the front brakes like I told them when I brought it in.

They said after 2 days at the dealer, they "didn't get a chance" to test drive the car to look for the rattle and that I would have to bring it in another time. Now I know looking for squeaks and rattles can be difficult, but Mossy Toyota left me with the impression they had no idea what they're doing.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Recommended Toyota service in San Diego?

Mossy Toyota has a bad rep on this board. Do a search for "mossy" and you'll find a few posts.

I went to my dealer (Gilroy Toyota) for my 15k and the brake squeek. First, they tried to sell me a bunch of stuff not covered on my Toyota 55k pre-paid maintenance plan, which I felt was fishy. The pre-paid maintenance specifies items that are supposed to be taken care of at 15k. I'm cross-checking their checklist to make sure they didn't just do a standard 5k oil change maintenance. Also, they wrote up the work-order for the brake squeek as a "squeek when turning the steering wheel" and therefore they couldn't recreate it. And this was with me handing them the TSB printout when I dropped off the car! Sheesh! Now I gotta get it looked at again.

Last edited by flopshot; 03-05-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would never recommend buying a car from El Cajon Toyota, but my first service there was excellent. However I live in the Golden Triangle/La Jolla area and driving all that way for an oil change sucks. Thanks for the heads up on Mossy.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

I'm planning to take mine to Kerny Mesa for its first oil change, but that's not for a while. Seems like the service department is very clean.

I will avoid Mossy, based on reports posted here...

Old 03-06-2007, 05:49 PM

My brakes squeak too, but it seems to happen only when the car is cold, like when leaving my driveway in the morning is when it usually happens. Has anyone found out what's causing it? My guess is the brake pads since the manual says to check them every 5000 miles, and I've yet to do that and I'm at 17,000.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Recommended Toyota service in San Diego?

I bought and had my first service last Friday at Frank Toyota in National City. Service was excellent and they checked the brakes and adjusted the parking brake, washed the car all in 45 minutes; also they used 0W-20 synthetic oil without asking.