Road trip observations

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Road trip observations

I'm in Maryland for the weekend and have a few observations...
  • I was driving on 287 South in rush hour next to a Honda hybrid with a "greenhybrid.com" bumper sticker (it said something like he gets 50 MPG) In a fit of mindlessness I tried to look at the driver to see who he was, until I realized that I don't think anyone here knows what anyone else looks like, although I think I know what your cars look like.
  • My car has about 11M miles, for the first time I pumped my own gas. For those that don't know, in NJ, self serve is illegal, although few people do time for this 'crime'. I noticed that the nozzle had a spring that prevented it from going in so the rubber splash guard was a few inches away from the opening. Poor design on the part of the nozzle manufacturer, I guess. In any event, I try to will remember to fill up before leaving the Garden State next time, since I am not crazy about pumping my own gas. I guess I am spoiled (or lazy). Don't get me wrong, it's fun to put in gas, but once a year is okay for me.
  • The combination of the yellow fuel light, the cruising range of "0" and the needle on "E" are very intimidating. I refilled and put in 14.4 gallons (I believe the capacity is >16). I know there are those that get a thrill out of seeing how far they can go (I'm not one of them). I weighed the thought of seeing if I could inch further versus the need to thumb to the next gas station. I opted to refill as soon as I could.
  • I really like "B" for the long hilly descent. I hate the whine (it sounds like the car is begging me to stop), but I will trust this forum's sages that the sound isn't bad (or is that like the explanation people give while hearing the whistle when a lobster is put into boiling water... that it is the air escaping, rather than the poor creature's cries of pain...no one knows for sure, but it makes us feel better)

Last edited by haroldo; 10-25-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Road trip observations

My first road trip was to West Virginia over a year ago. My fuel light came on at 504 miles into the trip. I figured I only got around 33-34mpg on the tank (17.2 gallon tank, light on my other cars came on with about a gallon left, so I figured I used about 16 gallons). I stopped at the first gas station I came to and filled up. When I filled up, it only took 13.4 gallons. I could have made the whole trip on one tank. Now, when my low fuel light comes on, I reset trip meter B and know I can go another 100 miles before I need gas. Just one of my first learning experiences on the new car. I know when the needle hits the middle of the E, I have about a gallon to a gallon and a half left in my tank. The most gas I ever put in the tank was 16.1 gallons.