Sirus windshield mounted antenna

Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Sirus windshield mounted antenna

Guys,

Has anyone removed the Sirus antenna from the inside windshield and scrapped the factory black dots off the windshield to improve signal? I was considering doing this to try to improve my signal. My car will drop the Sirus signal going through every overpass. Ridiculously frustrating!

I am looking for any tips and tricks you may have that has improved your signal and decreased the drop outs.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hal

(I have the 2009 TCH with nav if that matters)

Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Sirus windshield mounted antenna

I didnt even use the exterior antenna. I just set the little round sirius antenna up by the clock on the dashboard(no glue or adhesive) and get full bars. I don't have the tools or time to install per the manual and tuck everything under the rug from the trunk and so on. Also, when I park, I just take the antenna off my dash and stick down in that cubby with the receiver and close the door. the crooks are none the wiser

BTW, i have the starmate 5

non nav

Last edited by mfsandli; 03-13-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: non nav
Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I don't have an external antenna either. Mine was dealer installed. Truth is, I wish I had an external antenna, I am convinced it would work better.

I know there is someone out there that is smarter than me about this and knows if the factory dots that are on the windshield would cause any signal deprivation. The dealer says no but I have my doubts. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Hal

Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hal, (er...Ron) someone on this board was having issues with an after market GPS system in a 2009 TCH...if I remember correctly, they were convinced that the 2009 TCHs (vs earlier years) have a different window or windshield compound, coating, or layer that interferred with the GPS reception. Perhaps a search would turn up who that was, and he/she may be able to enlighten you to what was ultimately found, if anything. This may help you, or not.

Last edited by jbollt; 03-13-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have an 07 Camry hybrid which I purchased new in 06. I installed the Toyota factory Sirius receiver because I wanted to use the controls on my nav radio to access it. I thought the windshield antenna would not work very well so I bought a small magnetic antenna on eBay and ran the wire through the trunk and under the carpet and stuck the antenna on top just above the center of the rear window. It works great, no dropouts under overpasses or bridges. I've had the radio/antenna combo for two and one half years with no problems. I don't remember the price of the antenna, but it was less than $10. To my knowledge all the Sirius radios have the same antenna plug so that shouldn't be a problem.

Mark

Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

Thought a picture might help you guys understand what I am asking about. The little black dots are underneath the antenna and I have got to believe that it has some effect on the signal strengh.

What do you think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img0092.jpg (55.5 KB, 594 views)
Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast

I don't think they would have a negative effect. I believe they are used for AM/FM reception. Have you made sure that the frequency you are using(ex, 89.1) is a good for your your area? http://fmchannel.sirius.com/
maybe the website will help if you haven't checked it out already.
http://www.sirius.com/vehicleinstallation
4:00 talks about the antenna
about 5:30 talks about fm signal selection. hope some of this helps.