Speed Tone confusion and Ipod installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Speed Tone confusion and Ipod installation question

First of all...I am impressed with this car. I have been a Toyota fan for years...having had them as my last 3 vehicles (2 Corollas, a Camry, now the TCH) The cars simply are reliable. My one knock on them was that they didn't have much in the way of gadgets. LOL....Ummmm...I don't feel that way anymore.

I fully loaded my TCH and have been more than surprised at all that it can do. The manual though seems to have several grammatical errors and the dialogue boxes that cover the Speed Tone function seem to be totally incorrect.

Has anyone worked much with this feature? What it does is allow you to send tones through your phone....like a password for voicemail - very cool.....BUT you can't set it up correctly if you use the directions (unless I'm reading it wrong)

Page 115 tells you how:
1.Select Register a Speed Tone (under the Speed Dial option)
2. Assign it a name
3. Input the Telephone number

It doesn't work if you do that. Where it tells you to input the phone number is where you actually input the Speed Tone. For example #8888 for your voicemail password. When you make your phone call, you then have the option (press the 0-9 button when the Call screen comes up) to choose a Screen Tone that you previously registered.

Maybe it's me, but it took me more time than I care to admit (smiling) to figure that out.

The other reason it took me so long to figure it out was the screen shot on page 116 in which you enter the phone number supposedly for the screen tone. It shows two buttons - Pause and Wait - neither of which show up when you register a Screen Tone. Those buttons show up when you register a Phone number.

I sat in the car playing with this for so long, thinking I missed something, that the map voice lady told me to "Get out of the car" LOL

Speaking of that voice - I like it - does anyone dectect a slight southern accent? I'm from Boston, and am pretty good at detectin accents, any southerners concur with my ear?

The other thing about the Speed Tones is that they don't give a long enough set of tones to register. Meaning...to access my voicemail, I have to put in a four digit code (my extention) then later, my password, which is eight digits. The Speed Tone doesn't allow for that many digits....nor for the pause that I need for my Voice mail to acknowledge the proper input of my extention. I suspect I can use a second Speed Tone to do that...I will be trying it later today.

My second question is about the Ipod adaptor sold by Vaistech. It allows for your Ipod to be recognized as a second CD device and accessed from the wheel controls. VERY cool

http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html

Supposedly it works with the TCH
http://www.vaistech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40

1. I wanted you all to be aware of this technology. This is a great forum and I enjoy reading comments and insights. I've learned to drive more effectively with the TCH due to posts here....as well as purchased the "right" cell phone that works seemlessly with the TCH (Sprint LG- LX350)

2. Has anyone installed it themselves and if so....would you be so kind as to post the directions. I tend to break things (smiling) when following factory instructions - then I have to go back and try to fix what I did. I really don't want to do that with my new TCH.

oh...and what does ICE stand for. I though it meant Interal Combustion Engine, but I read some posts where my translation doesn't fit with what the poster was saying.

Thanks
Byron
ByronJames2003 on Yahoo IM

Old 07-30-2006, 12:19 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Speed Tone confusion and Ipod installation question

Originally Posted by ByronJames2003
oh...and what does ICE stand for. I though it meant Interal Combustion Engine, but I read some posts where my translation doesn't fit with what the poster was saying.

Thanks
Byron
ByronJames2003 on Yahoo IM
ICE... in order as it probably applies to these forums...

* Internal Combustion Engine
* Synthetic Wax
* water in a solid form
* type of beer, also a type of wine

Old 07-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Speed Tone confusion and Ipod installation question

and we know you canadians know about icewine, aye...