Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

My dealer finally fixed my squeaking console yesterday. They said they tightened all the screws. Nothing about felt pads, etc. It's fine 3 miles later. Hopefully it will last.

They were unable to fix rattling window in driver's door nor the air leak in that window. I am not sure they really tried. San Francisco Toyota's service leaves a great deal to be desired from my experience. I would appreciate any recommendations you might have for quality Toyota service in the Bay Area.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, after I turned down my radio I heard what you guys are talking about.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

I followed the directions to "fix" to the squeaking problem but after I replaced the gear shift ****, I noticed it was not straight (in line with the front of the car). The thing is, I don't remember if it was slightly off-center before removing it. Can anyone help me?

Is the gear shift **** straight when fully screwed on? If it is, has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?

Many thanks!

Old 09-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klynch
I followed the directions to "fix" to the squeaking problem but after I replaced the gear shift ****, I noticed it was not straight (in line with the front of the car). The thing is, I don't remember if it was slightly off-center before removing it. Can anyone help me?

Is the gear shift **** straight when fully screwed on? If it is, has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?

Many thanks!
Just turn it counterclockwise until it IS straight!

I assume you tightened it until it wouldn't turn any further? If so, just back it off until it is aligned.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks spiff72,

I did that but noticed after I shifted a few times (P-D-P), the **** is a bit off center again...or am I over-sensitized to this?

Hmmm

Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

BTW, I never did completely try to fix the squeak. What does the jury say about the felt pads...yes or no?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was one of the first ones to post about the felt pad fix, and after 8 weeks I have not had any squeaking return.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Enthusiast

I have tried a systematic approach to eliminating this squeak, trying many things posted here (Thank you everyone who has tried to eliminate this annoying noise and do something about it!)

1. I tried taping (cloth tape) everywhere the center console piece makes contact with anything. No success.

2. I tried taping all of the connector "prongs" of the center console thinking they might be the problem. No success (Helped for a few hours though)

3. I tried using teflon grease on all of the connector prongs. Once again, temporary relief.

4. I tried using the same grease everywhere the center console piece makes contact in addition to #3 above. No success.

5. I tried placing weatherstrip foam at all contact points of the center console piece. Some reduction in squeaks but still quite audible.

6. I tried multiple "thin" felt pads around the center console. No success. (They weren't making much contact with anything)

7. Finally, I put one heavy duty felt pad just above the shifter putting some tension on the center console (it very slightly bows the panel out)- which has finally stopped the squeaks!!!!!

My conclusion from all my weeks of taking my center console apart? I don't think the squeak is from rubbing, but rather flexing of the plastic center console piece causing it to squeak. Putting some pressure on the plastic piece must be enough to stop it. My next step if this fails is to put a small piece of dynamat on it to further test my hypothesis.

I think this covers most of what people have tried here- if I have missed any methods that were successful (or unsuccessful) please post!

Now how to tackle the rattling in the doors?

Hope this helps. Thanks again to everyone who tried and to "lovekills" (I think) who posted the pics and the solution with the felt pads.

tom

Old 09-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TSYTCH
I have tried a systematic approach to eliminating this squeak, trying many things posted here (Thank you everyone who has tried to eliminate this annoying noise and do something about it!)

1. I tried taping (cloth tape) everywhere the center console piece makes contact with anything. No success.

2. I tried taping all of the connector "prongs" of the center console thinking they might be the problem. No success (Helped for a few hours though)

3. I tried using teflon grease on all of the connector prongs. Once again, temporary relief.

4. I tried using the same grease everywhere the center console piece makes contact in addition to #3 above. No success.

5. I tried placing weatherstrip foam at all contact points of the center console piece. Some reduction in squeaks but still quite audible.

6. I tried multiple "thin" felt pads around the center console. No success. (They weren't making much contact with anything)

7. Finally, I put one heavy duty felt pad just above the shifter putting some tension on the center console (it very slightly bows the panel out)- which has finally stopped the squeaks!!!!!

My conclusion from all my weeks of taking my center console apart? I don't think the squeak is from rubbing, but rather flexing of the plastic center console piece causing it to squeak. Putting some pressure on the plastic piece must be enough to stop it. My next step if this fails is to put a small piece of dynamat on it to further test my hypothesis.

I think this covers most of what people have tried here- if I have missed any methods that were successful (or unsuccessful) please post!

Now how to tackle the rattling in the doors?

Hope this helps. Thanks again to everyone who tried and to "lovekills" (I think) who posted the pics and the solution with the felt pads.

tom

I'm trailing behind you by a couple steps. I've taken the center piece out many times. I started with one set of felt pads, put it back together again, and found the pads were too thick. I took it apart again and removed pads, and put everything back together until I could get different pads that were a little thinner. Next, I got some thinner pads, took center apart, put a few of them around all of the clips and put it back together. The squeek quickly returned. I then took it apart again and removed some of the smaller flet pads and replaced with larger ones (of same thickness) and placed them in many spots. I then tightened the screws under the pillars. The screws were already pretty tight.

I haven't driven the car, so I don't know if my new efforts have paid off.

I'm also going to be seeking advice from you guys on the other EXTREMELY annoying rattles.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

I used weatherstripping (self-adhesive, WeatherKing, 5/16" thick) to "fix" the problem. I placed a long strip between the two clips in the center of the console and another shorter strip by the left clip. As advertised, the repair took 5 minutes, and I haven't heard a squeak in two days.

Unless I report back, assume the fix worked.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands