Squeaking in the center console???

Old 07-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Has anybody come up with a consistent fix for this? Just picked up my new TCH tonight and was halfway home before I noticed the squeak. When I take it back to the dealership, I'd love to be able to suggest a way to remedy the noise.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bernt
Has anybody come up with a consistent fix for this?
I also have the squeak in the center console. I'm also hoping that someone on this thread reports the cause and fix.

Will Mayall

Old 07-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

MINE WAS FIXED YESTERDAY!!! Apparently, there is a clip somewhere near the shift lever inside the console. I had the service manager fix mine - he said the clip hadn't been properly attached. Ever since taking it in yesterday, there has been absolutely NO BUZZ. This buzz was coming from next to the area where the cupholder door opens into, next to the shift lever. Fix yours today!

QUOTE=mayall]I also have the squeak in the center console. I'm also hoping that someone on this thread reports the cause and fix.

Will Mayall[/QUOTE]

Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lem144
Apparently, there is a clip somewhere near the shift lever inside the console. I had the service manager fix mine - he said the clip hadn't been properly attached. Ever since taking it in yesterday, there has been absolutely NO BUZZ. This buzz was coming from next to the area where the cupholder door opens into, next to the shift lever.
Mine has started squeaking... I found if I hold the driver's side fin and genlty pull it towards me, the console stops squeaking. Is this the same squeak?

Is this clip something I can easily attach myself, or do I need to get it fixed by Toyota?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

It could be the same buzz. I am not sure if you can do it yourself, but you probaby can. I was not under there.

Originally Posted by nash
Mine has started squeaking... I found if I hold the driver's side fin and genlty pull it towards me, the console stops squeaking. Is this the same squeak?

Is this clip something I can easily attach myself, or do I need to get it fixed by Toyota?

Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
I was right about to post about this problem. I have it on my car too. I went to the dealer and booked an appt. for them to fix it on my car. I went for a drive with one of the dealer employees to show him. It appear to be the center console on the left side under the small vertical piece. You can pull this off with a good yank. (It has a couple of clips holding it on.) I do believe it is the bottom piece. It appears that the fit is too tight and that gives you the "crickets have sex" sound. Def. bring it to your dealer. Your not the first one to notice this. I remember another owner mentioning it last week on another site. edumunds.com I believe. My appt. isn't till July 3rd, but I'll post how they resolve the issue. Please post your results, but get your dealer to fix it. Our car is so quiet that little squeaks like that in a new car gets old very, very quick.
bingo, I have same thing, those 2 vertical strips on either side of the big cubby squeak. Mine started this past weekend after 8 quiet days. I noticed that my leg leans agains the left one, if I keep my leg off it, it gets quiet. I will let the dealer look at it when I bring it in for my Sirius issues. Back deck vibrates under heavy bass, but I have foudn that in virtually any car witha decnt sound system. I'll get back they and put some padding under the deck.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Thumbs up Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Here is the $2 fix for this problem...

I picked up my TCH last week and immediately noticed the infamous center console squeak. After doing some research on this website on how to remove the pillar covers and the console cover, I found a quick and simple fix that nobody seems to have tried. So stop waiting for your dealer to try and fix this, it is very simple to do.
Go to your local hardware or home improvement store and pick up a $2 pack of small self-stick felt pads, the kind you stick on the feet of chairs so they don't scratch the floor. (I used 1/2" medium duty pads) . Then unscrew your shift ****, then remove the plastic pillar covers and the center console cover. I don't have heated seats so I didn't need to disconnect any wires. You will notice some empty room between the holes in the console plate. Place a couple of the felt pads in between the various holes, I only needed 4. (TIP - don't put a felt pad at the bottom of the console, or you won't be able to pop that part of the cover back in). Pop the console cover back into place. The pads will provide enough extra cushion that the cover will no longer rattle. It took me all of 5 minutes to do this fix, and my rattle was 100% cured.

Hope this helps a lot of you!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Can someone possibly post some pictures of the process of removing the panels or where you are putting the pads under the center console cover when it is removed... I think that might help a lot of people understand where to place the pads.... or is it pretty clear once you have it off? Thanks!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have the squeaking. I took the car in to have it fixed. The dealer says the console box needs to be replaced. I take it in tomorrow for the replacement.

I'd prefer to have the dealer fix the squeak. It is under warranty and Toyota should know that they have a problem.

Will Mayall

Old 08-18-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by RCFlyer
Can someone possibly post some pictures of the process of removing the panels or where you are putting the pads under the center console cover when it is removed... I think that might help a lot of people understand where to place the pads.... or is it pretty clear once you have it off? Thanks!
There is a post over at TN in the Gen5-6 forum which shows how you can remove the fins and the console cover. I did not take my own pictures.

Here is where I placed my pads after the cover was removed. (Note - as mentioned in my earlier post, I removed the pad at the bottom of the picture, because I could not snap the cover back into place with that pad there)

Attached Files
File Type: zip
CenterConole.zip (57.2 KB, 23677 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands